Eastern Washington

I have *got* to remember to candle tonight. Today is day 17 - and I've not candled them even once. Hopefully the hatcher is dialed in - I've not checked it yet this afternoon - but it should be all set and ready to go. I'll move the eggs tomororw -- if I dont forget. I forgot once and came home from work to find that chicks were hatching all over the auto-turner.

No chicks were harmed.
ep.gif

Real fast, here is a picture of the silkie chicks I mentioned before, for those who asked for it:

Playing around with my polish and other silkie hen :)

They are really feathering out nicely, great crests.

Anybody else get snow last night?

Also, anyone on here have guineas? I have three 1 month olds and I need a few more. I've been checking Coastal Farm and Ranch but they haven't gotten any more in and I'm thinking maybe I'll order online but don't know who I should order from...

As a vegetarian who loves her chickens and rabbit as much as her puppy, I have nothing but respect for people who raise/hunt their own meat. I can't stand evangelical vegetarians/vegans.
I'n a vegetarian as well, But am fine dining alongside carnivores. I do appreciate everyone being respectful of each others' preferences, and I don't always feel that's the case, do you?

I'm new to BYC. I live in Eastern Washington in a small city with very strict poultry and livestock rules. Up until almost two years ago we weren't allowed to keep poultry at all if we had less than half an acre. Now we can have four hens no matter our lot size. I wish I could have a mini dairy goat but that is illegal for my lots size. I will have to settle for eggs and veggies from the garden. We also have one rabbit, an angora for fiber and fertilizer. We just got our first chicks, four black sex linked, and we are excited. Our neighbors are pretty cool about it so far. they have come over to see the new chicks in the brooder.

This a picture from thier first day home. Three of them are asleep. Has anyone else noticed that this breed of chick sleeps more than others, or is it just mine? They seem pretty healthy. They are now a week old and getting feathers and scratching, feeding and drinking well, but they still sleep a lot.

I'm new to BYC. I live in Eastern Washington in a small city with very strict poultry and livestock rules. Up until almost two years ago we weren't allowed to keep poultry at all if we had less than half an acre. Now we can have four hens no matter our lot size. I wish I could have a mini dairy goat but that is illegal for my lots size. I will have to settle for eggs and veggies from the garden. We also have one rabbit, an angora for fiber and fertilizer. We just got our first chicks, four black sex linked, and we are excited. Our neighbors are pretty cool about it so far. they have come over to see the new chicks in the brooder.

This a picture from thier first day home. Three of them are asleep. Has anyone else noticed that this breed of chick sleeps more than others, or is it just mine? They seem pretty healthy. They are now a week old and getting feathers and scratching, feeding and drinking well, but they still sleep a lot.

welcome-byc.gif
Hi there! I'm in Spokane, and we have four girls as well. All chicks sleep a lot when they're little. Ours would literally fall asleep while eating, their heads drooping into the food. Then they'd wake back up and keep eating! They seemed to be on a 5-minute schedule of wake, run around, eat/drink, poop, sleep. It was adorable. And all of our girls are different breeds.

Welcome!
Our chicks slept a lot when they were brand new, too. We had mixed breeds but no black sex-links.

Back
Top Bottom