Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Worn, Jun 3, 2010.

1. chickengarden

chickengarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    That's frustrating, isn't it? I'm finding in gardening that organic matter is the answer to everything. Do you compost your chicken and horse manures? You should be able to build up that soil nicely with things like that. Unless you have piles of your own ready made compost it does sound like your best bet is containers for this year. But if work on that soil you should have a decent garden by next spring. I've also found that it is important to get the garden ready by the fall so the rains can soak it in. Then mulch it good with leaves/straw/cardboard-stuff that you have so that the worms can do lots of work in it all winter for you.

1 person likes this.
  2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA

3. WhiskiRanch

WhiskiRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington

1 person likes this.
  4. VelvettFog

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  5. RustyHen

RustyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Echo, Oregon
    Do you use the pine shavings in your coop? I would turn under the shavings under to break your soil up it takes several yr.s to break down, keeps the soil from compacting. That is along with your manures, also a green cover crop would be good next fall,we have the same soil. I think its been too cold to plant corn yet this yr check soil temp. I know we usually plant earlier but this last 2 yrs have been very unusual.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. Vickis Girls

Vickis Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Whiski,
    Looks like your garden was the topic for the day! You got lots of good advice. I got the impression that you planted corn plants, not seeds? I've never planted anything other than seeds, and they do just fine, as long as the ground isn't too cold. I think you should get a couple packets of corn seed and wait until after April 1st, and try that. Meanwhile, spend the summer collecting vegetation and manure for the garden. Grass clippings are great between the rows to keep the weeds down. As far as containers, even cheap ones can be more expensive than a bag of compost, so why not get the bag, dig it into a spot in the garden, and plant your tomatoes there? Are you really frost free? It's been snowing here for the last couple hrs. and everything is covered! I'm sick of this.[​IMG]
    Just don't give up on your garden this year.

1 person likes this.
  7. WhiskiRanch

WhiskiRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    We are pretty much frost free. My Gramma use to plant corn from starts she started in the house but that was years ago when I was little. I don't remember what she did with her soil. I have plenty of compost on my own place with the 4 horses, the chickens and the neighbors cows. I just don't have the back or shoulders to return my rows and everything. It put me out for a few days just getting the rows and hills made. I'm gonna wait til April 1st and do both plants in the ground and about a dozen container plants with good soil and see which ones make it. I have plenty of seeds and starts for that [​IMG] thank you all for the great advice!!!! I have a compost ring started but I need to get more stuff in there and turn it. It will be good for next year. My garden does have steer manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and a little ash from the fire pit all disked in so its got good stuff in it. Its just really dense and compact once I put water on it. I'm thinking maybe if it doesn't do very good this year, thruout the year, I can buy bags of those white things or something to fluff up the soil and by next spring, Ill have enough to redo the garden. I work at Lowe's so I can get all my garden stuff for a very decent price [​IMG]

8. Vickis Girls

Vickis Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Whiski, I am so jealous!!! You work at Lowe's![​IMG] I've spent several small fortunes there.
    My problem is that the soil here is mostly sand. I've added peat and manure over the years, and all the compost I could get my hands on, just so it would hold moisture. Unfortunately, along with that comes various weed seeds, like Bindweed [​IMG] Oh how I hate that stuff! Anyway, glad you're not giving up. Sounds like your garden is a pretty ambitious project. Mine is only like 15x30. Just don't forget the Ibuprofen at night!

By the way, am I the only one who got snow last night? How 'bout you, chickengarden? We got 6-8 (honest) inches, and it's still snowing.[​IMG] What gives? This is starting out to be the crappiest Spring I've ever seen.

VF. Where would one pick up some of this cheap compost the next time she makes a Yakima Costco run?

Everyone have a great day and weekend?

9. VelvettFog

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Viki,

Watch the Yakima CL - every once in a while someone is giving away horse manure or some other good stuff :) The county landfill used to have what I'd call "uncooked" compost - you need to pile it and turn it until it it done. I've also seen rabbit and other animal manure for free on CL - check Wenatchee's I think I saw some there just the other day. I put my extra into my used feedbags and sell them for 3 bucks (about 25 lbs?)

10. BonnieLass

BonnieLass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Thank you. I have noticed that they are getting a bit less sleepy these last two days. I am making a cover for the brooder now, because I can see them flapping thier little wings and eyeing the top of the walls. I cant have them escaping and running around my craft room pooping on things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by