Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Worn, Jun 3, 2010.

1. chickengarden

chickengarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    Happy Spring to you too. Where are you at in Washington?

2. Cam-n-Sara

Cam-n-Sara Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Spokane Valley, Wa 99037
    [​IMG]

We just passed two weeks (yesterday) with our babies. The laws were changed two years ago in Spokane Valley. Now you can have one chicken per 2000 sq ft of property NO roosters. We got six hens at Big R on Trent and they were a sleepy bunch for the first week for sure but they have perked right up and seem to be on the ball. Trying to fly and roost. We have been hands on with them from day one and they are very docile, will let you hold them and eat from your hand. Getting the new feathers is weird looking but looking forward to the next phase. Coop will be ready for them in a week to ten days. Until then they remain in the house and get lots of attention from the whole family. Have a good one everybody. Thanks for the information about rabbits we may have to investigate the flavor factor soon. Anyone know where to get rabbit meat?

--Cam

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. ChaeBird

ChaeBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    Hey gardeners!

http://spokane.craigslist.org/zip/3691333047.html

Restaurant compost (sandpoint)

A Sandpoint restaurant is beginning a recycling program in attempt to reduce 'trash' to one residential trash can. We are looking for regular pick-up for food scraps great for compost or feed. In addition, we have glass, cardboard, wine corks, ceramic pieces, newspaper, and other items that will be sorted and available. Compost will be available in five gallon buckets. Please respond to this email to become a part of our waste reduction program!

4. Vickis Girls

Vickis Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    I'm between Snoqualmie Pass and Cle Elum. It snowed like crazy awhile ago, then sun, now it's raining. I'll take it any day over the 2 ft. of snow they predicted. We used to have family across the river from you in Orondo. I love it up there.

5. chickengarden

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    Man, we love it here too.
    I thought you must be close to me or up in some of the higher elevations if you got snow too.

6. Vickis Girls

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    chickengarden,
    Yeah, we're at 2200 ft. Only have a 100 day growing season, but summer makes winter worthwhile. Plentiful water, too. I can't grow the things you can. Everything has to be a short season variety. Do you live in town or further out? I would love to be surrounded by the orchards. You're lucky to live there.
    Vicki

7. chickengarden

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    We live up the Entiat river. We don't have orchards around us but the hills and an alfalfa field. It is literally heaven on earth. The house is old and needs a lot of work but we felt it was worth it. If it wasn't this crappy we wouldn't have been able to afford to move out of town ;)

You must have such dynamic seasons up there. That's quite the elevation.

8. Vickis Girls

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Really dynamic. Just too bad there are only two of them; Summer, and Winter. Spring and Fall are pretty short. I grew up in the north Seattle area, and never realized how tropical it was. It's mostly a constant Spring and Fall.
    I would love to have a crappy old house in your area. Our Orondo family moved to Chelan, and I have a Bro. in Tonasket. Seems like if you have the perfect climate, then there's no water.

9. WhiskiRanch

WhiskiRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    I'm starting to think that all the disking and prep we did for our 60x60 garden was a waste of time [​IMG] I think the soil is too dense and my crops are gonna suffocate. It seems light and fluffy until I water. Then it really compacts. Tried getting my corn in the ground and within 24 hours, the plants were dead and we even had awesome weather so I know they didn't freeze. Even my snow peas on the porch are pretty much dead and wont grow. Looks like I might be buying some cheap planters and doing some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in containers this year. I cant afford to buy enough good soil or anything to make my 60x60 garden good enough for my plants but I can buy the good stuff for a dozen planters or so. Still, I'm disappointed we wont be able to get the corn in the ground this year. [​IMG]

10. chickengarden

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    Yes, water is the commodity here. You HAVE to be able to find something with irrigation or a decent well if you want to be able to grow much of anything.
    I've lived in Canada and Souther California and Central Washington is the best place on earth in my books.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by