Easy! 98% way to sex chicks.

BunnyMomma

Songster
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
Olin, North Carolina
I have found a way to sex most chicks and thought I'd share!
love.gif

When they are about 3 days old, you can feel the comb area just above the beak,
if it is indented in is usually a pullet.
jumpy.gif
If it is bumpy, it is a roo.
jumpy.gif

So far it has been accurate in almost all of the chicks. Try it and see if it works for you!
Bunny
bun.gif

I have some in the incubator right now. If they hatch I will try that. I know at 3 weeks I can usually tell boys from girls by the comb. Only works with straight comb though. Although I have a silkie cross that at about 4 weeks I knew he was a boy by his comb and he has a pea comb, not a walnut like most silkies but then again he is a mix.

Do's
* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.
* Respect the BackYardChickens Staff. They dedicate LOTS of volunteer time keeping the forum running smoothly.
* Be nice to newcomers and help them feel welcome.​

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry if i cam off harsh but deal with this a lot sexing by comb only works with a few breads it it best not to asom it works for all most breeds canot be aceratly sexed by comb most breeds can be sexed by sadel feathers at 3/4 mounths about 95%exeped on breads that dont grow sadel feathers like seabrights and others. again sorry i sounded so harsh it is a sure sub for me sorry

I think it is going to depend on the breed and type of comb.

Actually, it is easy with a few breeds to tell at hatch, but then it takes a few weeks later to be able to tell again by looking just at the combs. So again, depends on the breed or mix. Yes, I can tell on the Sicilian Buttercups at hatch how many males I have just by looking at the combs before they dry off.

Last edited:
well it would be interesting if someone else tryed it & shared there opinion. ive heard that looking at the wing feathers at a few days old works quite well. one row of feathers = roo, two rows = pullet.

With feather sexing, again, it depends on the breed. I know it works on White Leghorns, I believe they've been selectively bred for that trait in order for the industry to be able to easily & accurately sex them at hatch so they can spend their resources on raising only the pullet chicks and don't waste resources on the cockerels. I don't know how accurate feather sexing is on other breeds.

I figure if there were accurate sexing methods that were easier than vent sexing then the big hatcheries would be using them and not having to employ vent sexers and pay them the high salaries they demand.

Sexing is 100% accurate with my method.

Yes that is right... I said 100%!!!!

Ready.

Take notes.

OK... Here goes.

WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE 16 WEEKS OLD... I can sex them with absolute accuracy!

Had to do it.

This thread was getting too hostile.

P.S. My Mother still swears she can guess the sex of babies in vitro... She is wrong 50% of the time, but we humor her... Some on this board need more humor in their lives....

Back
Top Bottom