Eating an older BBB

PittyLova

Songster
Dec 29, 2017
Northern, NH
We have a broad breasted Turkey hen who was given to us by a family friend. She was the first in 30 years to get a pardon on their little homestead. She's super sweet and friendly. We have a heritage Tom who has bred with her. I've been collecting eggs for incubating, hopefully they're fertile.

I digress....being broad breasted she's starting to have a hard time getting around. She's about 2 years old now, but is significantly slower moving than last year. I'm thinking this fall she's going to have to be added to our slaughter more for her own health and comfort than anything. If it comes to that I dont want to waste her. Anybody ever eat a 2 and a half year old BB? Any suggestions for cooking? Or is she better off going as dog food at that point?

Last edited:
I just read that turkeys don't get tough with age the way chickens do. I don't know if that's true, but I'd love for you to be a guinea pig and report back :D If so, definitely let the carcass rest a few days before cooking and a nice soak in brine wouldn't hurt either.

I just read that turkeys don't get tough with age the way chickens do. I don't know if that's true, but I'd love for you to be a guinea pig and report back :D If so, definitely let the carcass rest a few days before cooking and a nice soak in brine wouldn't hurt either.
I was trying to research and most info I found was in regards to heritage breeds who are often dispatched at 18 months. Nothing BB specific I could find. I may have to be a Guinea pig! I'm not sure she'd fit in my oven at this point though

I was trying to research and most info I found was in regards to heritage breeds who are often dispatched at 18 months. Nothing BB specific I could find. I may have to be a Guinea pig! I'm not sure she'd fit in my oven at this point though

I like to cut whole turkeys up like chickens to cook them. I have a small oven, but besides that it helps it cook and brown more evenly. I'm sorry you have to possibly put her down, but if that's the case it would be worth trying. Worst case scenario would be cooking down the carcass into a whole bunch of amazing broth.

Back
Top Bottom