1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Eating Bantam Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shelleyb1969, Jul 28, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I'm sure everyone will say..."you can eat any bird"...but seriously. Can I raise bantam orps for meat? Other than the obvious (their size), are there any problems? I really don't have the room for the standard size [​IMG] .

2. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I cant imagine it would be worth all the work, unless you were starving [​IMG]

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Why not raise less standard size or butcher a cornish X early(3-5 weeks)? Certainly it would be much less expensive that way, take less time, have more actual meat.

4. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Why not raise JUMBO COTURNIX QUAIL hahah
    [​IMG]

5. blue90292

blue90292 Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes you can! They are the same size as the Cornish hens and just as delicious. You will have to grow them a little longer than the Cornish X's.

Have fun with them!

7. shelleyb1969

I'm sorry, I should have presented my question a little differently...I am getting bantam orp eggs for me and my son to hatch, raise from chicks, play with, but mainly for eggs. Can these orps be eaten when I've finished using them for eggs? I've bought a coop which is already set up for bantams...that's why I'm getting them instead of the standard.

8. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    After fooling around all spring and summer trying to establish a flock of small freindly laying hens out of every one elses cast offs I have decided to bite the bullet and place my own hatchery order. Bantam orpingtons were my birds of choice.

Because of the hatchery minimum order I had to get my bantam orpingtons streight run and in a larger quantity than I want, however the extras will make a fine little cornish sized meal dressed out. (even the bantam is dual purpose) I plan to travel to a processor to have the deed done for me. By the time the 8-12 weeks has gone by I know I will not be able to do it myself.

This does not "pencil out"[​IMG] as a poultry savings but should get me the few healthy, tame, hens I have been wanting so badly. Had I been on the forum a little longer I might have done as you are and hatched eggs. I just had never tried that before. The wait time from the hatchery has been about the same. (mine are due in another week).

So I guess my long winded answer is yes, sure.

9. shelleyb1969

Thanks for your post orc. I know I won't be able to slaughter any of these chicks that I hatch. Actually, I don't know if I could ever slaughter any that I've raised/handled. Maybe next spring I should just get some standard orp chicks, not handle them, and slaughter them. That's probably what I'll do...those bantams are just too darn cute to eat!

10. flakey chick

flakey chick Songster

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:That's what I'm thinking. If it's worth the trouble to raise & it quail, then I don't see why not bantams. If you plan to eat the used up hens, try making stock or "stew" out of them. They will be tough any other way, and this way, you don't have to pluck them. You can simply kill, gut and skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by