Eating cracked eggs?

JAZsMom

Songster
8 Years
May 29, 2014
Damascus, MD
So, one of my ladies pecks at and sometimes eats eggs. Every day there is a crack in one egg (out of 3 or 4). She breaks the shell, but not the membrane. Are these safe to eat? My first assumption is no, but figured I'd ask. Hate to waste all of these eggs (although not totally wasted- cooked up 4 of them tonight to give to the girls tomorrow).
hu.gif

I wouldn't eat them, but I'm not totally sure if it would be safe or not.....But what I can tell you is that she may be pecking at the eggs because she has a calcium deficiency, in which case oyster shells fed to her would help. Oh and I wouldn't bother cooking the eggs....they love um' raw too!

Audra

Interesting. I give them crushed egg shells for calcium, but tonight while washing eggs 2 crushed in my hands- very weak shells. 2 started laying about 3 weeks ago, 1 about a week ago and one less then a week ago, so this is all new to them. Ill increase calcium and see if that helps.

Interesting. I give them crushed egg shells for calcium, but tonight while washing eggs 2 crushed in my hands- very weak shells. 2 started laying about 3 weeks ago, 1 about a week ago and one less then a week ago, so this is all new to them. Ill increase calcium and see if that helps.
It could also be because they have only just begun laying as well. Both a deficiency and them being "newbies" is probably factoring in.

Once they realise the treat inside it's hard to stop an ' egg eater ' . The easiest way to break them is to collect all eggs promptly after they are laid and leave a ceramic egg or golf ball in the nesting box.
After awhile of pecking and only getting a headache , they usually give up. If your eggs have soft spots it might be a good idea to put a bowl of calcium carbonate or oyster shell in the pen on ' free take ' . The eggs will be okay for eating within a few days if kept in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom