Eating dry soybeans

Lisa Alofs

Hatching
May 25, 2020
My rooster just ate soybeans that are being planted in our fields at our farm. When the farmer was filling the planter he dumped a bunch on the ground. I seen my rooster Taz right in the area of the dropped soybeans! I have heard that dry beans are toxic to chickens. What should I do?

Welcome To BYC

Do you have any idea how much he ate?
More important - were the beans treated with any pesticide/fungicide, etc.?

I'm really not sure what you can do. @centrarchid and @ChickenCanoe know more about foodstuffs - they may be able to give input on the toxicity of Soybeans.

I would make sure he's drinking well and keep watch on him. I'm sorry, I wish I knew more.

While uncooked beans aren't good for them, I would be more worried about the seeds being treated for planting as @Wyorp Rock said - fungicides, pesticides.
He'll likely survive. I never worry until I have something obvious to worry about.

The effects of pesticide treatment should be evident quickly. The anti-nutritional trypsin inhibitors typically destroyed by roasting during the milling process will make so what is ingested is digested less efficiently, but as a single meal should not be a major issue. A problem I have when eating a lot of even non-seed soybeans is where the birds get crop bound. The seeds swell and appear to irritate the crop. Keep him on fluids and watch him. I have had birds mess around where we transferred soybean harvest from wagon to grain bean and they did OK.

Keep him away from where the spills occurred. Seeds should be germinated in the next 10 days or so making worry period not open ended.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have any idea how much he ate?
More important - were the beans treated with any pesticide/fungicide, etc.?

I'm really not sure what you can do. @centrarchid and @ChickenCanoe know more about foodstuffs - they may be able to give input on the toxicity of Soybeans.

I would make sure he's drinking well and keep watch on him. I'm sorry, I wish I knew more.
Thanks for your link. I’ll check it out. I will have to ask the farmer if the beans were treated with pesticides. Thank goodness he is doing fine! I’m not sure how much he ate. He was standing right around the area the beans were dropped looking like he hit the jack pot! The farmer will be returning today to rake up the dropped seeds. Until then... my chickens are grounded to their run.

The effects of pesticide treatment should be evident quickly. The anti-nutritional trypsin inhibitors typically destroyed by roasting during the milling process will make so what is ingested is digested less efficiently, but as a single meal should not be a major issue. A problem I have when eating a lot of even non-seed soybeans is where the birds get crop bound. The seeds swell and appear to irritate the crop. Keep him on fluids and watch him. I have had birds mess around where we transferred soybean harvest from wagon to grain bean and they did OK.

Keep him away from where the spills occurred. Seeds should be germinated in the next 10 days or so making worry period not open ended.
Thank you so much for the helpful information. He seems to be feeling fine. He’s just grounded to his run until the farmer rakes up the spill. 😀

Thanks for your link. I’ll check it out. I will have to ask the farmer if the beans were treated with pesticides. Thank goodness he is doing fine! I’m not sure how much he ate. He was standing right around the area the beans were dropped looking like he hit the jack pot! The farmer will be returning today to rake up the dropped seeds. Until then... my chickens are grounded to their run.
Glad to hear he's doing fine!
Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom