Eating fertile Eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deb1, Jul 18, 2008.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I was talking to my neighbor. She said that they were getting rid of their roosters. I asked if she was worried about our other neighbors. She informed me, "No, my husband has read that fertile eggs are bad for you." I was a bit taken aback as I have always read that fertile and non fertile eggs have no difference in nutrient or safety value.

Has anyone heard this before? What is the reasoning behind the belief that eating fertile eggs is bad for you?

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    huh? I have no clue. Some Stores even sale fertile eggs for people to eat. I eat them with no ill effects. I wonder if maybe they don't want to eat what could become a future baby chick.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Either her husband was misinformed, or he just doesn't like the rooster. lol

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My grandmother got rid of their roosters many many moons ago because when my mother was a kid, she somehow broke open an egg for breakfast to find a chick fetus in the frying pan.

My mother hasn't eaten any eggs (knowingly) since then.

Maybe that's his problem. [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:EWWW! I wouldnt eat eggs either again, lol [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe it's just the thought of eating fertilized eggs for him and that's his excuse to get rid of them. [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've heard that chick in the frying pan story many times.
    If you collect your eggs and put them away, you will never know that they are fertile. When people ask me, I just say that these eggs are separate, LOL. Now, if a hen sits on a fertile egg for 21 days, that's a chick.
    Fertile eggs are not bad for you.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I know alot of older men in my dad's generation who won't eat a fertile egg - it's the phobic sperm thing. Seriously. :|

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Hey, I wasn't there. I don't know how they took care of their chickens... Given my grandmother and mother's track record, the eggs were probably collected once a week. [​IMG] They're not big on pets.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL,,, Freud would have a field day with him over this. I know several people who swear they would never eat fertile eggs, and most of them wouldn't know it was fertile or not anyway.
    My mom won't eat hard-boiled eggs because she bit into a partially formed chick at a picnic when I was about 16. I was sitting there when she peeled it and you could just tell something wasn't right, but before I could tell her not to bite it she did. The results weren't pretty, it was probably about 2 weeks into formation. She was talking and peeling and not looking,,, I barfed before she did!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by