Eating fertile Eggs.

deb1

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
NC
I was talking to my neighbor. She said that they were getting rid of their roosters. I asked if she was worried about our other neighbors. She informed me, "No, my husband has read that fertile eggs are bad for you." I was a bit taken aback as I have always read that fertile and non fertile eggs have no difference in nutrient or safety value.

Has anyone heard this before? What is the reasoning behind the belief that eating fertile eggs is bad for you?

huh? I have no clue. Some Stores even sale fertile eggs for people to eat. I eat them with no ill effects. I wonder if maybe they don't want to eat what could become a future baby chick.

My grandmother got rid of their roosters many many moons ago because when my mother was a kid, she somehow broke open an egg for breakfast to find a chick fetus in the frying pan.

My mother hasn't eaten any eggs (knowingly) since then.

Maybe that's his problem.
lol.png

Maybe it's just the thought of eating fertilized eggs for him and that's his excuse to get rid of them.
idunno.gif

I've heard that chick in the frying pan story many times.
If you collect your eggs and put them away, you will never know that they are fertile. When people ask me, I just say that these eggs are separate, LOL. Now, if a hen sits on a fertile egg for 21 days, that's a chick.
Fertile eggs are not bad for you.

Quote:
Hey, I wasn't there. I don't know how they took care of their chickens... Given my grandmother and mother's track record, the eggs were probably collected once a week.
lol.png
They're not big on pets.

LOL,,, Freud would have a field day with him over this. I know several people who swear they would never eat fertile eggs, and most of them wouldn't know it was fertile or not anyway.
My mom won't eat hard-boiled eggs because she bit into a partially formed chick at a picnic when I was about 16. I was sitting there when she peeled it and you could just tell something wasn't right, but before I could tell her not to bite it she did. The results weren't pretty, it was probably about 2 weeks into formation. She was talking and peeling and not looking,,, I barfed before she did!

Back
Top Bottom