Eating former pets

chipmunkridge

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Lancaster
I have 2 bantam cochin cockerels that I have not bonded with, and have tried to rehome without success. Has anyone ever eaten a bantam cochin? is it worth the fuss? if I am going to have chickens, there will always be extra roosters, Should I just suck it up, butcher the things and eat them? I think once we've done it once, it won't be so bad. My oldest son hunts and I am sure he'd be willing to help me. If I grind his deermeat, maybe he can behead my roosters.

go ahead and eat them. They are a little smaller than the LF cousins.

As for me, I would not butcher them, they had little meat on them that it was not worthwhile my time to do it.

People eat quail, pigeons, grouse, and other small birds. I had a bunch bantam/full size mutts that went in the freezer. So if it is a matter of size, then yes, they are worth the trouble.

It's probably not worth the trauma to my self AND the chickens. Unless I did 50! to fill the freezer. I guess I should just keep bringing up- in every conversation- with everyone I meet---- "would you like a cute cochin bantam?"

I've got the same problem too... Got a dozen roosters that I haven't got attached to. I've been asking EVERYBODY if they want them and posted on Craigslist but no luck. I have no problem going into the quail house and killing as many as needed, but I'm having trouble with the notion of killing those roos.

Might not be worth a full out plucking, but would not take much to skin them and put them in a soup pot. If you have a hunter about it should be no trouble at all, not much different than cleaning a grouse.

If you haven't bonded with them, then they are not pets, they are livestock. It's perfectly acceptable to eat livestock, whether they be as small as a quail or as big as 2-year-old steer.

Now if they were truly pets, unless your family was facing starvation, then it's not worth the anguish and tears.

Sounds like a fall project. Like when we collected hickory nuts from the tree in the yard and made cupcakes. I think skinning sounds good, less fuss.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom