Eating former pets

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chipmunkridge, Nov 5, 2010.

1. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    I have 2 bantam cochin cockerels that I have not bonded with, and have tried to rehome without success. Has anyone ever eaten a bantam cochin? is it worth the fuss? if I am going to have chickens, there will always be extra roosters, Should I just suck it up, butcher the things and eat them? I think once we've done it once, it won't be so bad. My oldest son hunts and I am sure he'd be willing to help me. If I grind his deermeat, maybe he can behead my roosters.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    go ahead and eat them. They are a little smaller than the LF cousins.

As for me, I would not butcher them, they had little meat on them that it was not worthwhile my time to do it.

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

People eat quail, pigeons, grouse, and other small birds. I had a bunch bantam/full size mutts that went in the freezer. So if it is a matter of size, then yes, they are worth the trouble.

4. chipmunkridge

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    It's probably not worth the trauma to my self AND the chickens. Unless I did 50! to fill the freezer. I guess I should just keep bringing up- in every conversation- with everyone I meet---- "would you like a cute cochin bantam?"

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If you cant get rid of them I would put them in the freezer, why not?

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Bantams are perfect single serving birds. Like home grown Cornish game hens. I'd butcher when you have enough for a meal for the family.

7. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I've got the same problem too... Got a dozen roosters that I haven't got attached to. I've been asking EVERYBODY if they want them and posted on Craigslist but no luck. I have no problem going into the quail house and killing as many as needed, but I'm having trouble with the notion of killing those roos.

8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Might not be worth a full out plucking, but would not take much to skin them and put them in a soup pot. If you have a hunter about it should be no trouble at all, not much different than cleaning a grouse.

9. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    If you haven't bonded with them, then they are not pets, they are livestock. It's perfectly acceptable to eat livestock, whether they be as small as a quail or as big as 2-year-old steer.

Now if they were truly pets, unless your family was facing starvation, then it's not worth the anguish and tears.

10. chipmunkridge

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    Sounds like a fall project. Like when we collected hickory nuts from the tree in the yard and made cupcakes. I think skinning sounds good, less fuss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by