Eating the hen my dog killed

Even if you take the dog's saliva/mouth bacteria out of the equation, if you have puncture wounds through skin into flesh you have exposed it to soil bacteria, bird's own skin bacteria, etc.

Hog dogs are trained to grab the ears. Retrievers are trained not to pierce the skin. Terriers and such are trained to kill vermin without intent to eat, generally. In any case, prompt processing is a safe precaution.
You can always cut the damaged meat away if there are puncture wounds.

don't you never can be too sure with that stuff. Give it a proper burial and a headstone.

hehe That's funny! Sad thing is a whole lot of people would do that. Whateva floats their boat. lol

I have ate chickens that my dog killed. I got them soon after he killed them and I guess got them half-way bled out. I wouldn't worry about the blood though. Small game is killed all the time and not bled out (rabbits and squirrels). I good overnight soaking in salt water will pull about all the blood out of the meat. Just clean it good and trim around the wounds if there are any. I skinned the birds I ate so I would find anything I didn't want to eat. As far as the dog slobber, how many people do you see that let their dog lick their face or mouth. I think that is so gross but it hasn't killed them. I don't want a butt licker licking on me! LOL

hehe That's funny! Sad thing is a whole lot of people would do that. Whateva floats their boat. lol

I have ate chickens that my dog killed. I got them soon after he killed them and I guess got them half-way bled out. I wouldn't worry about the blood though. Small game is killed all the time and not bled out (rabbits and squirrels). I good overnight soaking in salt water will pull about all the blood out of the meat. Just clean it good and trim around the wounds if there are any. I skinned the birds I ate so I would find anything I didn't want to eat. As far as the dog slobber, how many people do you see that let their dog lick their face or mouth. I think that is so gross but it hasn't killed them. I don't want a butt licker licking on me! LOL
I agree that I never let my dog lick me, face or otherwise, but it is actually a scientific fact that the human mouth has more bacteria in it than a dog's.

My main concern about eating a bird attacked by a dog would be the level of adrenalin that would have been in the chicken at the time of death. It would make the meat taste different.

I agree that I never let my dog lick me, face or otherwise, but it is actually a scientific fact that the human mouth has more bacteria in it than a dog's.  

My main concern about eating a bird attacked by a dog would be the level of adrenalin that would have been in the chicken at the time of death.  It would make the meat taste different.

Yuck, I don't doubt it.

The ones I ate tasted fine. They were scrawny but tender and tasty.

don't you never can be too sure with that stuff. Give it a proper burial and a headstone.
This is a MEAT BIRD section. The people on here eat their chickens. If that offends you, please just make it easy on yourself and quit reading these threads. You are not going to change the minds of anyone here (or in the Managing Your Flock section) who raises chickens for meat any more than they will change yours.

Last edited:
My dog, for the 3rd time, has killed a hen that flew over the fence. Can this hen be dressed? This is the 3rd time he has killed a hen that flew over the fence. Can this hen be dressed out and, later, eaten,? I've always heard if they are killed in that way the meat is not good to eat[. Such a waste

So what did you decide to do?

Back
Top Bottom