eating your pet open discussion

Definitely happier for having a job, My male Great Pyr guards the chickens, and for a while we were having bad weather, so he almost became an "inside dog" because I felt bad for him... he was sooooo miserable, couldn't wait to go back outside and chase all the dangerous squirrels from his flock. Needless to say, I gave up, and let him do his thing.

I agree that city pets would mostly disappear. I say city pets, because where I live, most animals do have a job, simply because it's expected of them. I'm looking to get an aussie soon, and it will be used to herd up any of the larger animals, but I also think I will enjoy having a slightly more affectionate animal... my others are just so business like!

And I suppose my chickens are almost like that, though not as well cherished. I enjoy them, they become useless, they become meat. :D

I have a havanese, they were originally bred as a companion, watchdog, and poultry herder. Though, i don't really think that a 15 pound fuzzball is what you had in mind.
after a point made who agrees with eating turtles dogs cats hamsters rats rabbits  or any other pet

I have eaten turtle but they aren't cute and they don't taste good. Also it was wilf, not a pet.

I agree with a person's right to decide for themselves - as long as the animals are housed, raised and processed humanely I have no issue with it -- that does not mean I am going to go home and eat my cat tonight, but I don't have any right to judge the person who does.

Ya i used to have a neighbor who would pick a locust off the tree and eat it. I didn't judge him i just avoided him during locust season. Hey extra protein.
1f61d.png

I also believe that it is ok to eat your chickens if they are killed humanely. But it is kind of sad when you have to butcher a hen that has layer consistently its whole life and now the production is over to its got to go. I also understand that alot of people don't want to have a bird with no purpose. I wouldn't butcher one of my girls that had been a beloved pet that is totally imprinted on people, but then again the only cute thing i eat is cow. (pigs aren't that cute)

There's another purpose for killing a good ol' layer hen that has laid for you for years....humanity and compassion. Her body doesn't know she's old and will just keep cranking out those eggs even when she no longer has the capacity to form an actual egg any longer. Those eggs will release into her body in the form of lash eggs or egg tumors. They can cause much discomfort and then death...a miserable death. Unless you will take an old hen to the vet and get her ovary removed when she is done with actual laying, she will continue to ovulate and produce these misfires. Keep an old rooster until he creaks from old age but try to do the same with a good, faithful old hen and you run the risk of her suffering before she dies.

This week I have to kill one of my good old girls that I have had for 7 years for this very reason...she has arthritis in her joints and she is only laying one or two eggs per week. Time to give my old friend the hand of mercy before she suffers from internal laying issues.

If one can't even give a chicken that much compassion, whether you eat them or not, then all the words of love spoken about pets means nothing to me...just words to make one feel like they are noble and compassionate, but they lack any real truth. Real love is not letting them suffer due to old age issues. Eating them merely honors their good life you have enjoyed together...could I throw away and waste my good old hen? No way. She deserves better.

Quote:
Oh this is DEFINITELY my dogs. They're utterly useless, unless one finds hair all over the furniture charming. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, the sloppy useless things. They're hilarious, and cuddly, and I'll grudgingly admit they do reduce the amount of crumbs on the floor (which is more than offset by the amount of mud they track in)!

The chickens, on the other hand, are useful. They eat bugs, provide food and entertainment, can potentially be worked into a revenue-producing opportunity by either selling eggs or hatching and selling chicks. When the layers are no longer productive, they can still be useful for food. If we keep chicks that were hatched while the parents are still in their laying/genetic prime, we won't even have to worry about buying more hens.

The dogs will only ever be slobbery, cute and cuddly freeloaders. I can't even count on them to help guard the chickens, they're too busy trying to figure out how to get at them to chase them.

Don't even ask about the aquatic frog in the fishtank. It's not even pretty!
lau.gif

If you are hungry enough, you will eat your pets. Dogs, cats etc....... You will eat them, and wish you had more. Hopefully that never happens, but if it does, those pets will be nothing more than food. I enjoy my two dogs a great deal. But if it comes to my children going hungry or the dogs becoming dinner, I'm picking the dinner route. So will you if it comes down to it.

If you are hungry enough, you will eat your pets.  Dogs, cats etc.......  You will eat them, and wish you had more.  Hopefully that never happens, but if it does, those pets will be nothing more than food.  I enjoy my two dogs a great deal.  But if it comes to my children going hungry or the dogs becoming dinner, I'm picking the dinner route.  So will you if it comes down to it.
That's not always true. There have been instances in 3rd world countries where the whole family is suffering, and the pet is hungry, but they cherish each other.

However, this isn't OFTEN true. My aunt lived in Africa, and had two pet monkeys... She moved and was promised that they would be taken care of.... They sure we're alright.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I'm not talking about being hungry, not just "ready for supper". I'm talking about starving, not just "ready to eat" but literally starving. It's not a good way to go, if you know what I mean. I have personally witnessed places where nothing living was passed up except for human beings. Bugs, plants anything that could be eaten was eaten. Including every animal within 50 miles, pet or not. I've personally never been that hungry but I've seen people who were. You, me and they would eat their pet dogs, cats and any other edible animal available. Like Hombre said "you'd eat it, and you'd fight for the bones too".

Back
Top Bottom