economic crunch and layoffs

have any of yall read any about permaculture? and building a hay bale house? I dont know if I am ready for all that yet or not

My younger sister is a full time teacher and it IS a FULL TIME job.
She doesn't make 6 figures. She and her husband live in a small apt. Have one car, take the train when they can. They are doing well, but in no way does she work a part time job with full time pay and benefits.

I am not a teacher, but am offended for my sister and those that are and are working their tails off to teach the kids in this country. Especially those that have parents that are dumber than tits on a boar hog.

Quote:
This is the most common thing that I see, I took a few friends out in the woods the other day and showed them some edible plants,and how to prepare them and whatnot. they were a little iffy on eating them because they did not come off the G.E. Electric stove that they were used to at home.After a little persuasion I got them to try it, And they were surprised how excellent the flavor was,cooking on thefire gave not only the greens ,but meats,and everything a very nice flavor, three of those friends now have wood burning stoves, and another is selling his electric so he can buy one, it's just the transitional phase is hard to step down from, but the benefits of a hay bale house are numerous, I'll be back later to show you some cool links, i have learned about.

growing up we ate poke salad.....well it grows crazy around here and no the goats dont eat it...my sister has made it and ate but I am still kind afraid because it is basically poison

Rhett&SarahsMom :

My younger sister is a full time teacher and it IS a FULL TIME job.
She doesn't make 6 figures. She and her husband live in a small apt. Have one car, take the train when they can. They are doing well, but in no way does she work a part time job with full time pay and benefits.

I am not a teacher, but am offended for my sister and those that are and are working their tails off to teach the kids in this country. Especially those that have parents that are dumber than tits on a boar hog.

Tits on a boar hog??!! How hilarious! I haven't ever heard that before!
lau.gif
Most teachers do not make very much money.​

today starts the first day of my husbands layoff....I am use to him working, dont know how it is going to be with him home....might not be a good thing.....we might get some stuff done around here though

Good Luck to you gapeachy,

Maybe it will work out better than you think, I hope so,and maybe you will come up with ideas to find out about self employment or another alternative income.

Best wishes to you anyway, just keep finding him jobs to do. I am sure it is not easy for him either.

Jena

Quote:
I was born and raised in South Jersey and growing up was taught that poke sallet was poisonous.

Imagine my horror when I move to TN and Gainesboro, TN has an annual Poke Sallet Festival.
ep.gif
I made a comment about how "that stuff" will kill ya only to have my friends (born and raised here) fall into fits of giggles.

They got me back to the farm and took me "hunting" for tender young poke sallet shoots and proceeded to show me how to prepare them. I must admit that come spring, the first thing I do now is pick me a "mess" of "poke sprouts" from our yard and cook them up for myself.

How to cook Poke Sallet

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom