economic crunch and layoffs

Wow! You are so brave! I don't know if I am cut out for that sort of adventure either. But hey, if the economy gets much worse we may all find out what we're truly made of.

Everybody has the potential to make their own living,, you just have to break away from the dollar,and educate yourself.

We'd be in a more remote place, I think, except for DH's health issues with degenerative disc disease and other things. He does great for someone with that much pain, though. I'm very proud of him. Yes, you can break away from "wanting and acquiring". At a certain point, I was just fed up with all the consumerism I saw in my job as a realtor. What a perspective that gave me! Wish my sons could get it. They grew up buying things at flea markets and seeing how to stretch a dollar, but older son married a woman who likes a nice house, well-decorated, etc and he wants to please her. Age and exhaustion may change that in a few years. She just lost her 30K/yr job in addition to his income, so they may have to make some adjustmentsl; well, be forced to, anyway.
You can do it, you really can, but you have to let go of some stuff, literally and figuratively.

my son and his wife cant make ends meet so we have to help but they dont make good choices....you dont have to have a suv....now with the second baby and she dont work and he is working 2 jobs never home she is home crying 24/7 I help to the point I dont feel like I have a life raising babies again....but better choices they would have it better.....my other son a fireman and his girl they do ok they manage their money good....my youngest 16yr....God have mercy on us all....he is a vacuum where money comes.....

Quote:
SIX FIGURES!
ep.gif
I know teachers have a hard job and deserve a good salary, but that's crazy ridiculous. Thank goodness you're a nurse. Shouldn't be hard for you to find other employment. Best wishes to you!

I will definitely bounce back-I am lucky in that people will always need medical care. And having advance notice is allowing me to put out feelers now. I am truly blessed compared to how hard some folks have it out there.

I have been a school administrator, school counselor and teacher. My parents were teachers and my dad a college professor. I have never even met a teacher that made six figures. I guess we lived in the wrong state when I was in the school system.
sad.png

If we could just go back to the old way's of living we wouldn't have these problems,Maybe some day we will see less cars, and more horses,It is true that you will have to give up luxury's,but since your time would be spent actually earning a living,you won't find yourself with a shortage of things to do.

BTW gaPeachy Congratulations on your new grandbaby, may he/she live long and prosperous .
smile.png

I just turned 34 and have had a big garden for 9 years now. We raise turkeys, sheep, chickens and other various poultry. I shot a buck yesterday evening that is iced down in the cooler as we speak and I am fixing to get off the laptop and return to my deer stand now. I was raised with money to spend, but spent every waking minute with either set of my grandparents out in the country who farmed and gardened and that's where I learned my love for the simple things. Sitting on a pond bank taking in the beautiful countryside, the smell of clean clothes as you take them off the clothesline, making something with your own two hands instead of running to town and buying a piece of junk made in China, etc. are things that I love. I also LOVE to cook and can cook like your grandmother used to. The simple life is harder, but that's what makes you appreciate what you've got.

Quote:
Great point, I take much pride in working with my hands,and the satisfaction of the finished product is much greater if done by you, rather than some assembly robot.

The place we deer hunt at is my paternal grandfather's 130+ year old homeplace. I was just sitting here looking at this huge old house built entirely by hand by my great grandfather. It is massive and beautiful eventhough it is starting to show it's age. This house would cost $200,000 easy nowadays and all it cost him was his time. The wood was cut out here where we hunt and hauled up by horses, then cut by hand and built by hand. The nails used to hold it together were forged by hand too. The old smokehouse, tater cellar, and outhouse have been removed but the barn still stands and I don't know a rich man with a barn this big and beautiful either. All built by hand. It's great.

Back
Top Bottom