Edible Paper??? Need safe paper for ducks to eat.

Pics
Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
While searching for winter toys for my babies, I found these parrot toys filled with shredded paper. The ducks LOVE them. They play with them all day. One problem is that the refill options on the paper are expensive. I have a paper shredder right next to my desk at work and am ready to save some money. I have no idea what paper is safe to eat and what isn't though. Obviously I don't want to give them paper that has ink on it. What paper do i give them then? Regular printer paper? Is colorful paper okay? I'm researching everything i can, but am scratching my head at this one. I would like some colorful edible paper. Anyone know what's safe for them? Here are pictures of the toys and a picture of the tiny bag of refill that lasts a day. $5 a day is crazy.

Attachments

• Paper1.PNG
    Paper1.PNG
    158 KB · Views: 50
  • Paper2.PNG
    Paper2.PNG
    132.8 KB · Views: 17
I'm not really sure if it's "good" for them, but my goose, since she was a baby, has has a fixation on newspapers. Had a layer in the bottom of the brooder tank with them and she would eat big chunks off of it.
Hope someone else knows the answer...$5 a day for paper is too much!!

I'm not sure the correct answer, but I used to work with various kinds of birds, and I remember that glossy magazine type paper is particularly bad, as is any colored paper due to the inks and dyes used. The plainer the better. We used to often re-use the black and white sections of the newspaper. You can buy plain newsprint from a paper supplier or probably even somewhere like Amazon.

I'm not really sure if it's "good" for them, but my goose, since she was a baby, has has a fixation on newspapers. Had a layer in the bottom of the brooder tank with them and she would eat big chunks off of it.
Hope someone else knows the answer...$5 a day for paper is too much!!
I read a few places that ink is toxic. But i honestly don't know. Thanks for the advice though :)

I'm not sure the correct answer, but I used to work with various kinds of birds, and I remember that glossy magazine type paper is particularly bad, as is any colored paper due to the inks and dyes used. The plainer the better. We used to often re-use the black and white sections of the newspaper. You can buy plain newsprint from a paper supplier or probably even somewhere like Amazon.
Hmmm that sounds like a good idea... cute duck pic too btw!! Thank you <3

Back
Top Bottom