EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

:gig I have the incubator on for a hatch this week. I almost put today’s eggs in without thinking.
I put 16 chicks in the coop this morning. I'm pulling 4 chicks out of the incubator to put in a brooder and then after fumigation, I'll be setting approximately 2 dozen eggs. I procrastinated and didn't get into the Easter HAL in time.

I was supposed to present a poultry class at one of our community colleges this coming Saturday, April 4. All classes through the end of April have been cancelled with no rescheduling. 10 students had signed up when they cancelled it last week.
So I guess they are taking it month by month.

Last edited:
Ok, 13 eggs have have hatched. Two were dead in shell from what looked like malposition. I have another malposition here that is still alive, but not done absorbing yolk/veins. I have no idea where the head is--I couldn't feel it through the membrane--but I'm worried if I don't get it air soon, it won't make it. Thoughts? Ideas? Wisdom?

And then I have the fella on the left there. It got stuck while zipping and its siblings pecked the whole top of its beak raw. Now they won't leave it alone because it is bright red. I put all of them except this one in the brooder, so it isn't being pecked now. Can I put something on it to keep them from pecking? I don't have Blu-Kote but I do have Gentian Blue. Do you think that would help?
IMG_20200330_103436_kindlephoto-447188627.jpg

Back
Top Bottom