EE, Ameraucanas, Araucana, mutts--my rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Companies do it because they can. Not enough people have raised a stink about it for them to change their advertising. If they are making money by deception and nobody does anything about it, they will continue to reap profits from false advertising.
It is unfortunate that some people are being sucked, but unless those that truely know the differnces of the breeds does somthing besides complain on a forum, nothing will change.

*I can not help in differenciating the breed, I do not know the difference.*

Oh, I know. I told somebody at an auction I loved the Easter Eggers and they got right up in my face and said they are not mutts which EEs are they are 100% purebred Araucanas from McMurray Hatchery. They had tails and muffs and were a non-standard show color. Looked nothing like a true Araucana. I also see a lot of people who sale their birds at auction as Ameruacana when they are clearly EE. Everyone turned their nose up when I brought a beautiful EE rooster to sale (because I had a spare rooster and needed him gone) and said he was an EE. I wasn't going to lie but I sure could have gotten more $$ for him had I told them he was an Ameraucana. And that there is why the hatcheries list them wrong. To get more $$$$$ for them.

Do the facts *really* support that hatcheries are misrepresenting these birds to make more "$$$$$"? I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. Obviously, I have way too much time on my hands, LOL, but below is a list of hatcheries, the year they were founded, what they call these "mutts", and what they sell them for (straight run, minimum number of chicks).

Murray McMurray, 1917, Araucanas/Americanas, $2.51
Cackle Hatchery, 1936, Araucanas/Americanas, $2.42 (Bantam)
Meyer Hatchery, 1985, Ameraucanas, 2.38 (Bantam, $2.85)
Welp Hatchery, 1929, Ameraucana (Aracauna), $2.58 (Bantam, $3.43
Mt. Healthy Hatchery, 1924, Araucanas/Ameraucanas, $2.50
Estes Hatchery, 1922, Ameraucanas (Araucana), $2.53
Hoover's Hatchery, 1942, Americana, $1.54
Ridgway Hatchery, 1923, Araucanas, $1.98
Randall Burkey, 1947, Ameraucanas, $2.32
Ideal Hatchery, 1937, Ameraucanas, $1.89
Townline Hatchery, 1913, Araucanas, $1.80
Decorah Hatchery, 1923, Americans, $2.50

Okay, are these really "get rich" prices? LOL, seriously, I don't mean to offend, but I really think they use these names because most of them have been around for decades and that is what they have always called them. I really don't think most are being deliberately deceptive. I mean they are selling these birds for sometimes less than $2 a piece.

Put another way, imagine that you are a third or fourth generation potato farmer. You are proud of your family's history and your strain of potatoes. Now, someone comes along that has been raising potatoes for far less time than you and says, "You are deliberately ripping people off! What you are selling is nothing more than a *weed* called "Ameri-tatoes"! You are just trying to deceive people and make $$$".

Would you be offended and not want to call your potatoes "ameri-tatoes"?

I mean really, I am someone that believes in breeding to the standard and believes that all three breeds *should* be separate, but I also think that some people come across way too offensive and self-righteous on this.

Also, I want to say (as if I didn't already write a book, LOL!), what I am saying is meant in good nature. I am smiling as I am typing it, not trying to be rude. I know it is sometimes hard to read emotion in posts, especially those that disagree somewhat with others. Anyway, I mean what I said in the nicest possible way! No need to send me a nasty message.
smile.png

I agree 100% with all of *Citychicker's* posts on this thread!
Im so tired of hearing all this
hit.gif
over this whole Ameraucana /Araucanas / EE debate. It really is NOT that big of a deal!
Like I said...
12683_beatinghorse.gif
big_smile.png
I am smiling!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom