EE/Americauna/CL questions

saraem

Chirping
Apr 19, 2016
I'd like to add a blue egg layer to my small flock and I'm having a really difficult time deciding which is right for us. We keep chickens primarily for eggs, with the added benefit that they are teaching our kids great responsibility and connecting them to their food source. We do not keep a rooster.

I guess my main objectives are decent production, a guaranteed nice blue egg color, and a friendly hen. I personally also like to have an aesthetically pleasing flock, but I'm probably the only chicken geek in the family.

My questions:

Are Americaunas as docile as EEs? Which has better egg production?

Is there a way to guarantee that you get a blue egg laying EE? (Like if you speak to the breeder and know what the parentage was perhaps?)

There is no telling by chick color how an EE will feather as an adult, correct?

What is the general temperament of Cream Legbars? How does the blue of their egg compare with the blue of an Americauna? How many eggs/week can I expect? I would choose a CL if it were only up to me but since we keep such small numbers it needs to be a good fit for everyone :)

I have all of these breeds, and here are some things you might wish to consider.
smile.png
With EEs, not only do you have no way of knowing what colors they'll turn out, but the same is true for their eggs. Egg color could range from blue to green to pink to brown. EEs, in my experience, are either very docile or super flighty. The true Ameraucanas seem to lay more eggs than our EEs, and they are consistently a bright, beautiful blue. I find that Ameraucanas are very similar in personality to EEs; they could go either way. Cream Legbars lay the biggest and most eggs of the bunch (about 5-6 a week), and I find the shade of blue is similar to that of the Ameraucanas. Only difference is that the shell is matte as opposed to a shiny Amer egg. As for personality, I have one that's horrified by people, and another that's decently friendly.
hu.gif

~Alex

Last edited:
These pictures are out of order. But they may help with coloring.

This is vanilla and milky way older.

Center of the pic on the top is then also:)

This is vanilla as a grown hen:)

These are my easter eggers as chicks. The one that looks like a chipmunk is Milky Way and the one that is right next to her Is Vanilla.

I have all of these breeds, and here are some things you might wish to consider. :)  With EEs, not only do you have no way of knowing what colors they'll turn out, but the same is true for their eggs. Egg color could range from blue to green to pink to brown. EEs, in my experience, are either very docile or super flighty. The true Ameraucanas seem to lay more eggs than our EEs, and they are consistently a bright, beautiful blue. I find that Ameraucanas are very similar in personality to EEs; they could go either way. Cream Legbars lay the biggest and most eggs of the bunch (about 5-6 a week), and I find the shade of blue is similar to that of the Ameraucanas. Only difference is that the shell is matte as opposed to a shiny Amer egg. As for personality, I have one that's horrified by people, and another that's decently friendly. :confused:

~Alex

Thanks, this is really helpful. It sounds like an Americauna or CL would be our best bet. One more question - what about the issue of "hybrid vigor"? Do you notice that your EEs are healthier than your purebreds? That's about the only thing I can still see as being a pro of going with an EE.

Thanks, this is really helpful. It sounds like an Americauna or CL would be our best bet. One more question - what about the issue of "hybrid vigor"? Do you notice that your EEs are healthier than your purebreds? That's about the only thing I can still see as being a pro of going with an EE.
You're so welcome!
smile.png
The EEs are about as healthy as the rest, to be honest. I have noticed that both my CLs and other peoples' can have a tendency towards egg issues, almost like it's a genetic breed trait. Nothing has really popped up with either the EEs or Ameraucanas, however.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom