EE or Brahma roo

Do you prefer an EE or Brahma roo? or something else?

• EE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Eh...probably. I don't notice my roosters/cockerels at all.
lol.png
wow really!? that's good cause i figured it can't be any louder or more annoying than that haha

At first my family found it annoying (though they were right by the window
lol.png
). We got used to it, and they are farther away now. I enjoy it.
smile.png

I have a lot of males, but they don't crow much.

Yeah, I'm worried about being woken up early or in the middle of the night or them crowing too much during the day haha also worried about the neighbors hearing them and/or complaining. The coop is in the backyard and we have neighbors right behind us so it concerns me. Well, not like reach your arm out the window and touch them close but you can see them through the woods and hear them sometimes. There's probably maybe a couple hundred feet or less, probably less. But then again Gator barks a lot and they haven't said anything haha

We were going to put the coop in the front yard on a hill wayyyyy away from us or the neighbors but we decided we didn't want to have to trudge up the hill in winter and plus I like seeing the chickens in the backyard.

Well... it really depends on the rooster and the crow and the dog. Steller's jays are obnoxious... but they don't crow at 330 am! Every cockerel I have does. I've had Swedish Flower, Marans, Ameraucana, brahma, and Salmon Faverolle as well as WCBP bantam.

The Ameraucana (not EE so don't know if they will compare the same) are always very calm. The brahma might have been my least favorite, they were... well, just meh. Nothing specific. The flower boys were all pretty good except the one I coddled.
hmm.png
Might think about keeping them in the future. The Marans (so far) are fine toward me but definitely more aggressive among the flock than the others as well as not docile when I do pick them up... so likely great at predator evasion. The salmon Faverolles were the lowest on the pecking order, the slowest to mature, and the last to start crowing. Sweet as heck when they were young because they ran to us for safety. They however had to go to freezer because both had curled toes. They were a breed I would try again but probably not in a flock with other males of different breeds. And also, I guess not if I was hatching for meat because the growth was way too slow. At 7 months hadn't started crowing yet with plenty of examples.

Crows (the sound) can be so different. And one annoying while the other is enjoyable. To be honest the way a bird crows and how much, is a trait I will cull for. Even a nice crow if going all day can become noise. Roosters crow for many reasons... To attract mates, to warn predators, to compete with each other, just because they want to. My husband can sleep through crowing but not through the dogs barking. My neighbors have dual pain windows but I do not. Some people sleep with their windows open. There are many variables. But I wonder if anyone who has roosters knows for a fact they don't crow a 330 am, or if ALL do? Chickens can see UV so they also can sense the sun several hours before it comes up. Just know they don't crow only at sun rise, but all throughout the day.
old.gif

No, not quieter than a dog in any way. But people don't realize hens are loud to. Some of my girls get up on as high a podium as they can and preach the loudest sermon I've ever heard! And then the egg singing starts and girls who didn't lay join in... and the roosters join in!
big_smile.png
Oh and my teen daughter tried to have a crow off with one of my boys!
roll.png
I had 8, down to 4 right now. I don't dislike roosters or cockerels at all. Just don't like them trying to mate before they have learned their manners and feel that sharing the truth of what to expect is better than an idea and more helpful to make an appropriate decision. I wouldn't keep them if I had no intention of hatching. All of the properties around me are only 1 acre. So we are pretty close. It hasn't been a problem for my neighbors who KNOW I will work with them if it does become an issue. And since they know that, when they do approach me it won't be with an ugly attitude about how I ruined their daytime or night time peace.
wink.png

I think I have something over fifteen boys right now in a wide age range - some crow at 3:30 am, some don't. And it isn't every day...but I might not hear it, like I said I don't really notice anymore.
lol.png
It may be in response to us being up doing something sometimes to. They react to noises. I'm sure not every single one is participating... but if I had mad neighbors they sure would be.
tongue.png

I also don't notice anymore unless I'm on the phone or trying to have a conversation with someone. I enjoy hearing them most of the time.

That's a whole lot of boys! DO you keep them in a stag pen.

Note that the boys once they reach a certain maturity definitely go after my dogs first. Especially if they land near by enough when catching the frisbee. So now I don't play with the dogs near the boys... for the boys own good, because my dogs were here first and didn't do anything wrong. My female dog even sparred back and forth once with one that got her for no reason as she walked by. She is confident and knows how to control herself and her teeth. She walked away because she knows chickens are not prey and what's expected of her. But she also put's them in their place if they mess with her. And ultimately my dogs have ranged with the chickens with zero incidents in over 6 years even when we were gone for the weekend. If I lost a chicken at this point to one of my dogs, I would have to consider it self defense on the part of the dog. Though I don't expect that to happen. Just saying chickens aren't innocent and dogs aren't always guilty, though I know that isn't what the thread is about.. I also know KDOG has a dog. So just mentioning it.

Plus putting them up on the hill just might help the sound travel farther...
wink.png

I was at my neighbors the other day and got hear the barking, crowing, egg singing, and don't forget the goats bleating!
D.gif
It wasn't as loud over there as I thought it would be. Also I was real uptight about it at first worrying about my neighbors because the sound is sooo loud..... compared to the nothing that I was used to. Now it's just part of the neighborhood sound. And my neighbors all enjoy seeing farm animals and hearing them to. But all within reason of course. And nobody complains about free eggs.
smile.png

It may be in response to us being up doing something sometimes to. They react to noises. I'm sure not every single one is participating... but if I had mad neighbors they sure would be. :p

I also don't notice anymore unless I'm on the phone or trying to have a conversation with someone. I enjoy hearing them most of the time.

That's a whole lot of boys! DO you keep them in a stag pen.

Note that the boys once they reach a certain maturity definitely go after my dogs first. Especially if they land near by enough when catching the frisbee. So now I don't play with the dogs near the boys... for the boys own good,  because my dogs were here first and didn't do anything wrong. My female dog even sparred back and forth once with one that got her for no reason as she walked by. She is confident and knows how to control herself and her teeth. She walked away because she knows chickens are not prey and what's expected of her. But she also put's them in their place if they mess with her. And ultimately my dogs have ranged with the chickens with zero incidents in over 6 years even when we were gone for the weekend. If I lost a chicken at this point to one of my dogs, I would have to consider it self defense on the part of the dog. Though I don't expect that to happen. Just saying chickens aren't innocent and dogs aren't always guilty, though I know that isn't what the thread is about.. I also know KDOG has a dog. So just mentioning it.

Plus putting them up on the hill just might help the sound travel farther... ;)

I was at my neighbors the other day and got hear the barking, crowing, egg singing, and don't forget the goats bleating! :cd   It wasn't as loud over there as I thought it would be. Also I was real uptight about it at first worrying about my neighbors because the sound is sooo loud..... compared to the nothing that I was used to. Now it's just part of the neighborhood sound. And my neighbors all enjoy seeing farm animals and hearing them to. But all within reason of course. And nobody complains about free eggs. :)

That's true. :lau

No, a few of them are pretty young, but when they're older I plan on putting some in a bachelor pad. I've got some projects starting up, so I need them.

And good points you made in the rest of your post. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to answer, as usual hahaha

Thank you all for your responses though and I'm definitely taking them into consideration :)

And oh yes, my girls can definitely be very loud and annoying too and so far the neighbors haven't complained lol they like to sing the egg song as soon as the sun comes up :/

Also, I'm thinking a Brahma roo might be too big?

And what are your thoughts on Speckled Sussex roos?

Or should I just grow a bunch out and see which one I like?

Back
Top Bottom