EE Roo/Hens ? ? ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clacasse88, Jun 15, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    These are 10 and 13 weeks old. I hatched out the 10 week old & the 13 week olds are from Mt. Healthy hatchery. Any guesses? The tail feathers are throwing me off on some of the ones that are supposed to be hens, plus I've never had EEs before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was sent from hatchery stock & looks like a rooster -- it was supposed to be all hens : )
    [​IMG]
    This was also from hatchery stock & looks like a rooster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Didn't get a good pic. but thought the coloring might help

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    They all look rather rooish to me but the 2nd one is 100% def a roo!

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    the 1st 2 look like roos the others look like pullets round feathers where the saddle feathers are.

4. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

My guess is that the first four pics are roos and the last 2 pics are pullet (s).

5. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    If the first one is 13 weeks I would say it could be a pullet but if 10weeks then probably roo (how is that for indecisive?). Do you have a face on shot of it`s comb? It is pretty red.
    Second - roo
    Third - same as the first
    Fourth - pullet
    Fifth - pullet
    Sixth - pullet

Who really knows with EE`s...just as I think I have mine figured out someone`s comb turns really red or a pullet starts making crowing noises that aren`t actually a real crow but sound weird. They are loveable gentle birds though [​IMG]

6. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Mrs. Feathers :

If the first one is 13 weeks I would say it could be a pullet but if 10weeks then probably roo (how is that for indecisive?). Do you have a face on shot of it`s comb? It is pretty red.
    Second - roo
    Third - same as the first
    Fourth - pullet
    Fifth - pullet
    Sixth - pullet

Who really knows with EE`s...just as I think I have mine figured out someone`s comb turns really red or a pullet starts making crowing noises that aren`t actually a real crow but sound weird. They are loveable gentle birds though [​IMG]

Mrs. Feathers:

Hmm. So the red coloring on the comb is a determining factor for the roos? I think the first one is pinkish compared to the 2nd pic. I'm actually disappointed with the 3rd as that one is from the hatchery too. I had ordered 50 "Ameraucana" pullets and only kept a few. I know there are definitely 2 of them that were roosters & crowing.

The tail feathering is also your factor for the 3rd one?

The others should be pullets, but what's up with that?

Thanks for your input!​

7. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:Are you guessing from the tail feathers? I'm curious to your guess. Thanks for responding!

8. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:I'm hoping your guess is right! Thanks!

9. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:: ( I hope they are fooling us. What were your criteria for guessing roo? Love the feedback. Thanks!

10. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    No doubt in my mind that the second is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by