EE Roo/Hens ? ? ?

clacasse88

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
These are 10 and 13 weeks old. I hatched out the 10 week old & the 13 week olds are from Mt. Healthy hatchery. Any guesses? The tail feathers are throwing me off on some of the ones that are supposed to be hens, plus I've never had EEs before.

41128_silkies_ees_001.jpg

41128_silkies_ees_006.jpg

This was sent from hatchery stock & looks like a rooster -- it was supposed to be all hens : )
41128_silkies_ees_003.jpg

This was also from hatchery stock & looks like a rooster.
41128_silkies_ees_007.jpg

41128_silkies_ees_005.jpg

41128_silkies_ees_024.jpg

Didn't get a good pic. but thought the coloring might help

If the first one is 13 weeks I would say it could be a pullet but if 10weeks then probably roo (how is that for indecisive?). Do you have a face on shot of it`s comb? It is pretty red.
Second - roo
Third - same as the first
Fourth - pullet
Fifth - pullet
Sixth - pullet

Who really knows with EE`s...just as I think I have mine figured out someone`s comb turns really red or a pullet starts making crowing noises that aren`t actually a real crow but sound weird. They are loveable gentle birds though
smile.png

Mrs. Feathers :

If the first one is 13 weeks I would say it could be a pullet but if 10weeks then probably roo (how is that for indecisive?). Do you have a face on shot of it`s comb? It is pretty red.
Second - roo
Third - same as the first
Fourth - pullet
Fifth - pullet
Sixth - pullet

Who really knows with EE`s...just as I think I have mine figured out someone`s comb turns really red or a pullet starts making crowing noises that aren`t actually a real crow but sound weird. They are loveable gentle birds though
smile.png

Mrs. Feathers:

Hmm. So the red coloring on the comb is a determining factor for the roos? I think the first one is pinkish compared to the 2nd pic. I'm actually disappointed with the 3rd as that one is from the hatchery too. I had ordered 50 "Ameraucana" pullets and only kept a few. I know there are definitely 2 of them that were roosters & crowing.

The tail feathering is also your factor for the 3rd one?

The others should be pullets, but what's up with that?

Thanks for your input!​

Quote:
Are you guessing from the tail feathers? I'm curious to your guess. Thanks for responding!

Quote:
: ( I hope they are fooling us. What were your criteria for guessing roo? Love the feedback. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom