EE sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newhenintown, Nov 29, 2016.

1. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    I have no idea if these are cockerels or pullets. I was told they were 2 weeks old when I got them which would make them 9 weeks now. Sorry not the best pics but they wouldn't cooperate and I have nosey cochins.

Rosco:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Popeye:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nugget:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parmesean:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rosco is the biggest out of all of them and obviously crossed with something. And nugget and Parmesean are the smallest ones

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nugget is a pullet. Rosco and Popeye cockerels for sure, and fairly certain that Parmesan is also a cockerel. Rosco has the potential to be a striking looking rooster.

3. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al

Thank you! Its nice to hear that I should atleast have one pullet out there out of 12 chickens. Sadly she's the hardest to catch and screams if caught. And I do believe your right about Rosco. He looks very interesting right now. Out of all of my cockerels he'll probably ve the one that I keep. Hes very sweet whereas my cochins are very "in your face" as you can see.

4. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    @sourland if you don't mind me asking how can you tell if theyre cockerels or pullets? Hopefully one day I can tell for myself.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rosco - early comb development, and start of pointy hackle and saddle feathers

Popeye - Very evident pointy hackle and saddle feathers, rounded tail coverlets, stance, large comb.

Parmesean - shiny reddish feathers on wing coverlets are generally sign of a cockerel.

Nugget - not showing anything that says 'male'

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with sourland.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Sourland, he is really "on the ball," [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by