Effective cleaning of rubber chip

Jul 16, 2018
Hi, I have a run with rubber chip on top of paving slabs
I tried to clean it today by taking out the dirty chips and cleaning them with the garden hose in a bucket. This appears to leave a lot of vegetation around the chips, I assume this comes from their pellets.
Can any one recommend a more effective /easier way to clean the chips or is this what I should expect?
I've returned the 'clean' chips to the run in the hope the chickens will scratch away in there tomorrow and tidy it up.

Any tips or advice welcome

Many thanks

Can-not im-a-gine trying to clean rubber 'chips' of chicken poop.

This appears to leave a lot of vegetation around the chips, I assume this comes from their pellets.
Not clear on what you mean by 'vegetation' and 'pellets' (pelleted feed?).
A pic would help.

IIRC you have 6 birds?
Knowing you general geographical location and seeing some pics of your run might help garner some suggestions.....but....I recommend ramial wood chippings(from tree trimmers) and other dry plant matter as run bedding and never cleaning anything in the run.

Rubber chips on top of paving slabs is not very chicken friendly and seems like it would be a lot of work to keep clean. Chickens like to scratch and dig. Like @aart said, wood chippings, knowing your general location and seeing pics of your run/setup will help us to help you better.

This was the best solution I had, trust me when I say a lot of research went in to what I should use. I am in Scotland. Wood chippings are hard to get and extremely expensive here.
These are sold as chicken friendly and my research shows a lot of people using them very effectively.

What I was trying to work out was why the chips seemed dirtier after washing them.

Please don't tell me to get rid of the rubber chip, that doesn't help me.

This is my set up
DSC_3951.JPG

What I was trying to work out was why the chips seemed dirtier after washing them.
Maybe they didn't get rinsed well enough?

Still not clear.....
Not clear on what you mean by 'vegetation' and 'pellets' (pelleted feed?).
A close up pic showing 'vegetation' would help.

I am in Scotland. Wood chippings are hard to get and extremely expensive here.
These are sold as chicken friendly and my research shows a lot of people using them very effectively.
Where was this 'shown'?
And were those people offering any info on how to manage and clean them??

They would be 'chicken friendly' in that they are rather soft so won't cut feet,
but doubt maintenance is going to be 'chicken keeper friendly'.

Ah, it's a shame you can't get wood chips.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-19_6-39-15.png

Back
Top Bottom