Effective Treatments for Common Conditions of Chickens by Owners

@aart , what's the link for that place that does fecals?

-Kathy
http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php

@TwoCrows

Excellent information. I presume you get the Copper Sulfate from the feed store? Do you follow a pull time for eggs?

My recurring problem has been worms and suspicion of mild coccidiosis.

I add the ACV into water, and try to keep clean grounds, but on 1/3 acre after 6 plus years, build up is inevitable especially with Oregon's typical milder winters and wetter seasons. (I laugh at removing "puddles" from your area....uh, I'd have to leave Oregon.)

Thank you for your valuable input.

LofMc
I tried Copper Sulfate in water for lice, seemed to work the first time, but not the second so I don't use it anymore.
Got the product in the plumbing department of the hardware, might also try gardening dept.
Read the labels closely to get 'pure'.

@TwoCrows

Excellent information. I presume you get the Copper Sulfate from the feed store? Do you follow a pull time for eggs?

I add the ACV into water, and try to keep clean grounds, but on 1/3 acre after 6 plus years, build up is inevitable especially with Oregon's typical milder winters and wetter seasons. (I laugh at removing "puddles" from your area....uh, I'd have to leave Oregon.)

LofMc
@KsKingBee has been doing his own fecals for quite some time now, and I think he has found Sulfadimethoxine (SulfaMed G, DiMethox, Albon, etc) to be the most effective in treating the strains of coccidiosis at his place. Of course Sulfadimethoxine powder is one of those that will be harder to get now since it is on the list of OTC to Rx meds, but I have heard about people giving the injectable orally, so that might be an option.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Oh, almost forgot... @KsKingBee has also confirmed via fecal tests that Valbazen (albendazole) @ 7.5 ml per gallon of water for one day, repeat in 10 days, will treat large round worms.

-Kathy

I'd be interested in doing my own fecal floats.

I've got a decent student model microscope (not a toy...used for high school labs).

I've got Sulmet on the shelf with another year on the pull date.

Sadly my Duramycin-10 is past pull date by about 7 months.

I was really surprised to see the Hygromycin B (Durvet Strike III and Rooster Boster Multi Wormer) on the hit list as it is used for worms since it is absorbed so poorly in the body and eggs...it stays in the intestinal tract.

LofMc

I'd be interested in doing my own fecal floats.

I've got a decent student model microscope (not a toy...used for high school labs).

I've got Sulmet on the shelf with another year on the pull date.

Sadly my Duramycin-10 is past pull date by about 7 months.

I was really surprised to see the Hygromycin B (Durvet Strike III and Rooster Boster Multi Wormer) on the hit list as it is used for worms since it is absorbed so poorly in the body and eggs...it stays in the intestinal tract.

LofMc
I think that @KsKingBee said that his Sulfamethazine (Sulmet, SMZ 454, etc), was *not* as effective as sulfadimethoxine (SulfaMed G, Albon, etc) in treating coccidiosis. Hopefullt he will comment here with the various results from his fecal tests.

-Kathy

@TwoCrows

LofMc
I left some links to where you can get this stuff in my last post. I get most of my stuff, including the Copper Sulfate from Twin City Poultry.:)

I seem to always have a mild Cocci problem going all the time around here. It's everywhere in the ground and it overwhelms the birds no matter how much exposure they get to it. The Copper Sulfate will take care of Cocci and most worms. Not sure about tapes, but I don't have any issues with Round Worms at all using the Copper Sulfate. Some people use this stuff like a wormer and dose their birds every other month for 3 to 5 days. Really cleans out the gut of everything!

I tried Copper Sulfate in water for lice, seemed to work the first time, but not the second so I don't use it anymore.
Got the product in the plumbing department of the hardware, might also try gardening dept.
Read the labels closely to get 'pure'.
Never use any Copper Sulfate that is not approved for poultry. You have no idea what extras might be in it. The poultry stuff is approved for internal injestion...food grade, if you will, for poultry. It also has absorbic acid and lemon added for taste.

And while it can help for external mites and lice, it's pretty toxic to use for external bugs. I would use some sort of poultry bug spray. Copper Sulfate works best for the gut of the bird.

So I was hoping that "Acidified Copper Sulfate" would be as effective as everyone says it is, but I recently had a pigeon with canker that I used it on and it did not make a difference.
sad.png
Perhaps this is just a really stubborn case?
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom