Egg bound but feel something...

big mami

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi - I've finally figured out that one of my hens is egg bound - and it's a whopper of an egg, too. I felt the egg from the outside, manipulated it toward the back, gave her a sitz bath in the sink, got rid of the stuck-on poop and even did a little digital exploring inside her. I could feel the egg, but there was some kind of thin layer of flesh between my finger and the egg. I was not feeling the bare eggshell. Could the egg be outside of the "egg chute"? It definitely has a hard shell. Could it be around a corner somehow? Or is this how they feel? She does not seem ill, but hasn't laid in about 1 1/2 weeks and used to lay 5 per week. I'm going to leave her alone for a little bit and if nothing happens, I'll give her another sitz bath tomorrow. But I'm still confused by how that egg felt - any help?

A bump is when somebody doesn't really know the answer but wants to help so they "Bump" the thread to move it back up to the top of the page for you. I don't know the answer, I am sorry!

Quote:
What?

She was just helping your post/question move up to keep it active.

I have to say, you've already done more than I probably could by feeling around up inside her a little. How long has she been trying to lay??? If it's been less than a day, I'd give it more time to work itself out...try another warm bath in the morning. Did you do a search here on the site? Type in "eggbound" and read through a few other posts for solutions.

I'm sorry, I've not experienced this yet. I sure do hope somebody who has will respond soon. If not, I'd repost with "Help" in your title.

Thanks folks, I have read the posts about egg bound hens, which is why I did the sitz bath and exploration. She has not laid in 1 1/2 weeks! I think she has been trying to lay this egg the whole time... Might be time to buy some K-Y Jelly...

Have you posted this in the emergency section? That might get you more answers. I havent experienced this either. Good luck with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom