Egg bound chicken defecated

Attachments

• 20210126_181730~2.jpg
    20210126_181730~2.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 12
I've had several cases of egg binding in the time I've kept chickens, and none of them presented with an egg that could be felt from the vent. This is likely because most egg binding involves shell-less eggs. And often, two eggs are involved.

At the first suspicion that a hen is having trouble getting an egg out, and sitting in a nest for an hour or more without producing an egg is a sign, I give a calcium citrate tablet whole into the hen's beak to help with contractions to expel the egg. This is the most important part of treating egg-binding. This is the calcium I use.
978A12E8-0B9F-4960-9278-10CAEE50EAE6.jpeg

That looks like normal poop. How is she acting?
Let's get some experts to help

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous
On the nest box she was not laying but standing she didint do the tail up and down thing when hens are about to lay she just stood there tail up moving hay around.Like i said before i had to put food in her mouth to get something in there and with a syringe i gave her water and calcium crushed

I've had several cases of egg binding in the time I've kept chickens, and none of them presented with an egg that could be felt from the vent. This is likely because most egg binding involves shell-less eggs. And often, two eggs are involved.

At the first suspicion that a hen is having trouble getting an egg out, and sitting in a nest for an hour or more without producing an egg is a sign, I give a calcium citrate tablet whole into the hen's beak to help with contractions to expel the egg. This is the most important part of treating egg-binding. This is the calcium I use. View attachment 2504169
They can swallow it whole?

I asked the same question because the tablets look huge. I was giving it to a bantam pullet so imagine my surprise, hahaha. Sure enough @azygous seriously knows her stuff! Just give those wattles a gentle tug to open her mouth and gently slide the tablet down her throat (go in towards the side~either side~) and release her wattles hold her head naturally (don't let her bend down immediately) and then give her a treat. Easy peasy

Back
Top Bottom