Egg bound chicken or something else?

Grant75

Hatching
Mar 19, 2021
I have a chicken that appears egg bound, but has been alive for a month without laying any eggs. I heard the limit is 48 hours at most. Any ideas of what is happening here?

I have a chicken that appears egg bound, but has been alive for a month without laying any eggs. I heard the limit is 48 hours at most. Any ideas of what is happening here?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

It's true that egg binding is deadly fast without question if not resolved.

There are many things that can cause a hen to quit laying.. Molt or broodiness are the first two that come to mind.

EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) or ascites is the next..

What is her age.. other behaviors.. still out foraging with her crew? Eating, drinking, pooing? Staying in the lay box or never visiting it? Going to roost at night with other birds.. Same place in packing order, recent personality changes?

Has she ever actively laid that you know of.. or recent addition, how long have you had her? Any recent changes to lighting (bulb go out), feed, routine, etc? Ever check internal or external parasite load?

Breed, and standard feed routine including treats and supplements? Also how many birds in how much space? All questions are just to help discern what may be going on or look for clues.

Hopefully it's just a less fatal natural condition that you're not familiar with yet and she returns to lay nice and healthy soon! :fl

Welcome to BYC! :frow

It's true that egg binding is deadly fast without question if not resolved.

There are many things that can cause a hen to quit laying.. Molt or broodiness are the first two that come to mind.

EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) or ascites is the next..

What is her age.. other behaviors.. still out foraging with her crew? Eating, drinking, pooing? Staying in the lay box or never visiting it? Going to roost at night with other birds.. Same place in packing order, recent personality changes?

Has she ever actively laid that you know of.. or recent addition, how long have you had her? Any recent changes to lighting (bulb go out), feed, routine, etc? Ever check internal or external parasite load?

Breed, and standard feed routine including treats and supplements? Also how many birds in how much space? All questions are just to help discern what may be going on or look for clues.

Hopefully it's just a less fatal natural condition that you're not familiar with yet and she returns to lay nice and healthy soon! :fl
She has not laid recently. We confined her to a straw needed area because we thought she was egg bound. Had her for about 3 years. We have a trough we fill regularly. Free range chickens. Eats and drinks normally. 8 birds in a 8'x8' enclosure. We do not check for parasites. We recently started letting them back outside of their roost after winter. They had a heat lamp in there, and it is still used occasionally on colder days. It is a Leghorn.

She has not laid recently. We confined her to a straw needed area because we thought she was egg bound. Had her for about 3 years. We have a trough we fill regularly. Free range chickens. Eats and drinks normally. 8 birds in a 8'x8' enclosure. We do not check for parasites. We recently started letting them back outside of their roost after winter. They had a heat lamp in there, and it is still used occasionally on colder days. It is a Leghorn.
First course of information.. chickens are hatched with all the ovum follicles that will ever become eggs already on board. Higher production layers *can* "burn out" earlier than some lower production breeds which lay less eggs per week for a longer period of time. Some individuals will burn out even earlier than others. Genetics always matters even from the same parents, offspring vary drastically on some things.

If the heat lamp puts out light.. THIS IS messing with (impacting) your egg production (and possibly molt cycle).. either increasing, decreasing, or completely confusing the hormone gland/brain.

Chickens are well equipped for the cold once feathered as juveniles.. wearing down jackets that when on roost they can tuck their combs/beaks into and also covers their feet nicely..

Keeping moisture to minimum, by having things well VENTILATED to keep humidity down (exhaled in every breath) is effective at deterring frost bite. A heater on the other hand.. *might* make it harder to adjust to cold temperatures if say the power goes out.. but also just in general for when out foraging or messing around for enrichment purposes.. example.. I spend so much time outside with my animals.. I comfortably kept my house at 58 F during winter. My family constantly in the heated house is freezing below 65 F, which will make me think I'm having a heat stroke for a minute or two during the transition. Alternatively if I get up out of my cozy chair.. even 65 indoors can feel chilling.

So please consider eliminating the heat lamp or at least looking into my claim about ventilation, humidity, frost bite, etc. Or maybe use the lamp only if needed for an ailing/recovering individual who may be having a harder time regulating their body temperature.. which chickens run about 105 - 107 F.

Most animals can fight off internal and external parasites well enough when in prime condition. 3 years isn't too old for some chickens but may be up there for others. Some folks worm a few times per year. I have fecal sample checked by the vet and treat only if needed, which hasn't been needed HERE yet. Checking skin condition after dark with a flashlight.. under the vent looking for angry red skin.. or regular light pink flesh.. it tells a story.. if you're able to look into it.. these are just things animals face when they have the luxury of enjoying other aspects of nature also. I had to worm my dogs for the first time this year.. weather pattern, individual habits, wildlife load, stock density, nutrition, and so many other things can all impact this. I have YET to need worming chickens but my friend a couple miles up the road does. Some years I need to treat for poultry lice, and other not. I try to check monthly or quarterly.. noting the drop in production caused by parasite will not be notice by most keepers as it's about 10%. Funny enough only 10% of the birds in a given flock were carrying 90% of the parasites.. again individual genetics and habits impact everything.. and in chickens this is a little challenging to predict.

So if she quit laying about 1 month ago.. and she's 3 ish.. when was the last time she lost her feathers and regrew them? Have you any photos of her?

What is the feed in the trough.. is it a layer ration? Are all you birds 3 ish year old? Have they molted before or stopped or slowed egg production during winter?

If you aren't sure about it being egg bound you can try and feel kind of in between its legs and around that area for an egg. If you still aren't sure you can put on some rubber gloves, dip your hands in vaseline and feel inside her vent for an egg.

First course of information.. chickens are hatched with all the ovum follicles that will ever become eggs already on board. Higher production layers *can* "burn out" earlier than some lower production breeds which lay less eggs per week for a longer period of time. Some individuals will burn out even earlier than others. Genetics always matters even from the same parents, offspring vary drastically on some things.

If the heat lamp puts out light.. THIS IS messing with (impacting) your egg production (and possibly molt cycle).. either increasing, decreasing, or completely confusing the hormone gland/brain.

Chickens are well equipped for the cold once feathered as juveniles.. wearing down jackets that when on roost they can tuck their combs/beaks into and also covers their feet nicely..

Keeping moisture to minimum, by having things well VENTILATED to keep humidity down (exhaled in every breath) is effective at deterring frost bite. A heater on the other hand.. *might* make it harder to adjust to cold temperatures if say the power goes out.. but also just in general for when out foraging or messing around for enrichment purposes.. example.. I spend so much time outside with my animals.. I comfortably kept my house at 58 F during winter. My family constantly in the heated house is freezing below 65 F, which will make me think I'm having a heat stroke for a minute or two during the transition. Alternatively if I get up out of my cozy chair.. even 65 indoors can feel chilling.

So please consider eliminating the heat lamp or at least looking into my claim about ventilation, humidity, frost bite, etc. Or maybe use the lamp only if needed for an ailing/recovering individual who may be having a harder time regulating their body temperature.. which chickens run about 105 - 107 F.

Most animals can fight off internal and external parasites well enough when in prime condition. 3 years isn't too old for some chickens but may be up there for others. Some folks worm a few times per year. I have fecal sample checked by the vet and treat only if needed, which hasn't been needed HERE yet. Checking skin condition after dark with a flashlight.. under the vent looking for angry red skin.. or regular light pink flesh.. it tells a story.. if you're able to look into it.. these are just things animals face when they have the luxury of enjoying other aspects of nature also. I had to worm my dogs for the first time this year.. weather pattern, individual habits, wildlife load, stock density, nutrition, and so many other things can all impact this. I have YET to need worming chickens but my friend a couple miles up the road does. Some years I need to treat for poultry lice, and other not. I try to check monthly or quarterly.. noting the drop in production caused by parasite will not be notice by most keepers as it's about 10%. Funny enough only 10% of the birds in a given flock were carrying 90% of the parasites.. again individual genetics and habits impact everything.. and in chickens this is a little challenging to predict.

So if she quit laying about 1 month ago.. and she's 3 ish.. when was the last time she lost her feathers and regrew them? Have you any photos of her?

What is the feed in the trough.. is it a layer ration? Are all you birds 3 ish year old? Have they molted before or stopped or slowed egg production during winter?
The only reason we have a heat lamp is to keep them from getting frostbite on their heads. I believe she started molting before winter. She regrew them a few weeks after winter started. I'll send a picture of her when I get the chance. The feed is a mix - corn and sunflower seeds mixed into normal chicken feed. All of the birds are around 3 years old except one that's about 5. Yes, they normally slow egg production during winter. But this chicken in question was laying just fine during winter - about every 2 days. Then she started walking weird and wouldn't lay eggs. That all molt every 4-6 months.

One thing I forgot to mention is it's feathers on it's rear end started falling off. But it happened last year and they have started growing back. She still walks really weird and won't lay eggs through.

She still walks really weird and won't lay eggs through.
Sounds like aging problems. The walking weird I wasn't aware of before your most recent post. It can be indicative of reproductive issues.. and fairly common. Ascites or EYP.. internal laying.. Feel for swelling in the abdominal area below the vent. Noting chickens being prey animals will do everything in their power to HIDE any discomfort/pain that makes them an easier target.. People are often clueless to the true pain animals feel because of their stoic demeanor.. and unfortunately think that keeping them alive as long as possible is the "humane" thing to do.

Sunflower seed and corn are diminishing nutrients of the feed.. and should only be given as a personal treat NOT to exceed 10% of the total daily intake..

Research my suggestion about ventilation being KEY to avoiding frostbite.. again my question.. what will help avoid frost bite during a power outage?

Sorry the information I share isn't always happiness and fluff. :hmm

Sounds like aging problems. The walking weird I wasn't aware of before your most recent post. It can be indicative of reproductive issues.. and fairly common. Ascites or EYP.. internal laying.. Feel for swelling in the abdominal area below the vent. Noting chickens being prey animals will do everything in their power to HIDE any discomfort/pain that makes them an easier target.. People are often clueless to the true pain animals feel because of their stoic demeanor.. and unfortunately think that keeping them alive as long as possible is the "humane" thing to do.

Sunflower seed and corn are diminishing nutrients of the feed.. and should only be given as a personal treat NOT to exceed 10% of the total daily intake..

Research my suggestion about ventilation being KEY to avoiding frostbite.. again my question.. what will help avoid frost bite during a power outage?

Sorry the information I share isn't always happiness and fluff. :hmm
The corn/sunflower seeds are only about 10% of their feed. And aging problems seems like an odd thing for a 3 year old chicken, considering we have another of the same type that's been just fine. Reproductive issues could be it though. How is it treated?

Last edited:
With ALL things individual genetics matter more than "same type". This is why so many folks don't understand WHY is something effecting ONLY one bird, or sibling..

Reproductive issues, ARE an aging problem for all species regardless of how or when exactly they manifest.. be it tumors, or simple infertility.

Treatment depends on diagnosis..

Water belly.. aka.. ascites can be a side effect of fatty hemorrhagic liver syndrome WHICH can also cause the feathers dropping off the bumm.. BUT.. that's not what you really want to hear.. It's truly genetic but influenced by things like excess treats in addition to nutrient deficit. Sometimes cause by an individual getting more of a certain treat.. NOT pointing fingers OR jumping to conclusion here.. JUST sharing PURE information.. you do as you please with it according to YOUR goals.

Egg yolk Peritonitis.. or tumors.. depends on the stage of the condition.. Euthanasia is how I treat these things. I've seen ENOUGH so called "natural" decline and/or death.. for ME, it's the humane thing to do.. WHEN their time.. makes itself known.. when discomfort outweighs joy. (chickens SEEM to like eating and dirt/sun bathing as basic "joys") :(

Your birds molting every 4-6 months is a clear indication of husbandry issues.. be it your nutrients OR your heat lamp.. or parasites.. which you said you haven't checked for ever. This is a simple statement of assessment and NOT a personal attack against you, the keeper who cares enough to search for answers. :confused:

If the heat lamp you're using is a LIGHT.. please consider switching to an infrared bulb or a "sweeter heater" type.. something that doesn't impact lay hormone and molt cycle.

Since my experience and advice is not falling in line with what you want (or maybe not even coming out exactly how I would like), I'm gonna tag a couple of fairly experienced people who will hopefully give some better input.. @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @azygous.. might y'all have any input here.. TIA! :fl

I'm sorry you face this whatever it is, and that I can't be more help. But I'm glad you found BYC and hope you get answers and feel the uplifting comfort and support of the community! :hugs

The symptoms described could be attributed to chronic reproductive infection. If it were my hen, that would be what I would treat for. I use amoxicillin 250mg in the form of Fish Mox, easily obtained online, and treat with one capsule each day for ten days.

These reproductive infections are not easily treated successfully, and I would guess they improve only half the time. The way I handle it is to treat for ten days and assess whether there is significant improvement. If the hen declines instead of improving, and appears to have lost interest in food and just lies around sleeping, I euthanize.

Back
Top Bottom