Egg bound hen, need supplement help.

Docdetective

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Northern California
My almost two year old hen is likely eggbound. She's not her normal personality, doesn't want to move around, fluffed up, and tail down. I separated her from my other two hens, gave her fresh shavings and mash, and laid a towel over the side windows. She isn't giving any indication of laying, only standing in the back. She had a few bites of mash. I have vitamin D3 5000 and B complex, but I'm not sure how much to give her. She will be in an epsom salt bath if she doesn't attempt to lay in twenty minutes or so. Any advice is greatly appreciated, she is a pet.

If you don't have something like Citracal (which is calcium citrate + vit d3) you can try Tums. Citracal works faster, but Tums is an alternative option. Like others have mentioned, move her to a quiet, darkened, humid room, like a bathroom. Increase humidity with a hot steamy shower (of course not washing her this is just getting the room steamy). Be sure to leave her water to drink.

Update: Shes out of the warm bath. She perked up a little but nothing like her normal self. Had a poop before her bath(pictured)
D6EFEDA1-A8C1-4C3F-A6FC-9D2B639F7D88.jpeg

After her bath while drying, she had a white stringy poop. Currently inside, in her kennel, laying down. Doesn’t look like she’s trying to push

Last edited:
If you don't have something like Citracal (which is calcium citrate + vit d3) you can try Tums. Citracal works faster, but Tums is an alternative option. Like others have mentioned, move her to a quiet, darkened, humid room, like a bathroom. Increase humidity with a hot steamy shower (of course not washing her this is just getting the room steamy). Be sure to leave her water to drink.
She’s out of her bath now, unfortunately I don’t have either citracal or Tums. She’s in a dark room, unfortunately can’t be in the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom