Egg bound hen, need supplement help.

I don't have calcium citrate on hand. so far I've given 1/4 B complex tablet. I have D3, but its a gel capsule. Should I open and give that to her?
I'm not sure about using it on its own. Paired with calcium citrate, d3 helps with absorbing and contractions. Did you feel in her vent for an egg? Did you massage her abdomen during her bath? Like mentioned above, you can use something to lubricant her vent. Coconut oil, vegetable oil, something like that will be fine. Hopefully the bath relaxed her enough for that egg to come on out.

I'm not sure about using it on its own. Paired with calcium citrate, d3 helps with absorbing and contractions. Did you feel in her vent for an egg? Did you massage her abdomen during her bath? Like mentioned above, you can use something to lubricant her vent. Coconut oil, vegetable oil, something like that will be fine. Hopefully the bath relaxed her enough for that egg to come on out.
I felt externally. To me, she feels fine, her vent area seems squishey. I can feel where the bone on her abdomen ends and I don't feel anything hard after that. I will be feeling for one in about twenty minutes, as soon as I get gloves. She's resting now, so definitely relaxed. Shes also groomed a bit.

Some of the ladies that were tagged earlier in this thread are active now, so hopefully they'll be on to offer more helpful information. You said that her vent wasn't pulsing, right? Is there a chance something else is going on with her? When did she last lay an egg? Here's hoping she'll be feeling much better very soon 💜

Some of the ladies that were tagged earlier in this thread are active now, so hopefully they'll be on to offer more helpful information. You said that her vent wasn't pulsing, right? Is there a chance something else is going on with her? When did she last lay an egg? Here's hoping she'll be feeling much better very soon 💜
Her vent is pulsing, which makes me think she is eggbound. The only other thing would be that she was given a lot of cut green grass yesterday which is abnormal because her run doesn't have green of any kind. She also just came out of her winter molt, and has had one egg since then, Tuesday.

Did you notice if her crop was functioning overnight last night?
I didn't. I do usually check it every night when I lock them in for the night, but I dont remember feeling anything unusual. She got down as usual to say hello to me, got a midnight snack, and went to bed. All very normal for her. Right now, her crop seems very liquid (partially because I've been giving her water from syringe) but, it was before I gave her water.

Don't soak her again! Sick or injured chickens have a very hard time regulating their body temperature, so soaking can chill them and cause hypothermia.
The best thing you can do if she is egg bound, is try to get your hands on some Calcium, and get her in a calm steamy room. If there was anyway she could go in the bathroom, in a box, crate, puppy pads on the floor that would be great. You need to get her in a steamy room. To do this, turn turn the shower on hot, and place her in the bathroom. It should steam up fairly quickly, but close all windows, and try to block off under the door to keep it steamy.
If she is not egg bound, it could be another issue like internal laying, or other reproductive issue. Internal laying usually includes expelling egg white and loose white droppings though, so I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully the members who were previously tagged will be here to help soon.
Good luck!

Don't soak her again! Sick or injured chickens have a very hard time regulating their body temperature, so soaking can chill them and cause hypothermia.
The best thing you can do if she is egg bound, is try to get your hands on some Calcium, and get her in a calm steamy room. If there was anyway she could go in the bathroom, in a box, crate, puppy pads on the floor that would be great. You need to get her in a steamy room. To do this, turn turn the shower on hot, and place her in the bathroom. It should steam up fairly quickly, but close all windows, and try to block off under the door to keep it steamy.
If she is not egg bound, it could be another issue like internal laying, or other reproductive issue. Internal laying usually includes expelling egg white and loose white droppings though, so I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully the members who were previously tagged will be here to help soon.
Good luck!
I will not soak her again tonight, however she was indoors and in front of a heater until she dried. She's also spending the night in the house, and in shavings.

Back
Top Bottom