Egg bound hen

Seven days would be good, and probiotics either in her feed or some yogurt are helpful in keeping her gut bacteria healthy. I hope she gets better.

Just got done cleaning my coop. Is this contagious? She drank a little today and ate a few English peas and green beans but no layer feed.

No it's not contagious. It can happen when bacteria such as E.coli enter the reproductive tract for different reasons. It might happen with vent pecking, from damage to the cloaca where bacteria enrer the oviduct, and it can also be introduced from an air sac infection. I will send you some food articles in a few minutes.

Last edited:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/134/salpingitis/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html

image_Page_005_Image_0005.jpg

6. Salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct). Salpingites due to E. coli infections could be also observed in growing birds. The oviduct is dilated, with thinned wall and filled with caseous exudate all along its length.

lash egg from salpingitis

Good morning. My hen is doing alright today. gave her her medicine and am going to give her more nutri drench in a bit. She is eating a little of her wet food. Not much though. I was curious if she does recover will this come back and plague her again in the future? She isn't laying currently but when and if she does how long is the egg withdrawal period?

I would read this additional article on salpingitis, written by a vet, and read the sections on "treatment" and "recovery:"
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/03/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by.html

She may perk up after the antibiotics for awhile, but it won't be cured. I would probably wait at least 3 weeks, since there is not an official egg withdrawal time. Here is some reading from FARAD:

Tetracyclines—Chlortetracycline is approved for use in laying hens in Australia and Ireland.16,18 In Australia, chlortetracycline is labeled for use in the drinking water of chickens at doses up to 60 mg/kg (27 mg/ lb) for ≤ 5 days with a 0-day egg withdrawal.16 In Ireland, a medicated feed containing chlortetracycline can be fed to laying hens at a dose of 20 to 25 mg/kg (9 to 11 mg/lb) for 5 to 7 days with a 4-day egg withdrawal.18 In the United States, the egg withdrawal interval for hens following treatment with chlortetracycline needs to be extended from those established in Australia and Ireland to allow residues time to deplete below detection limits. Multiple studies48–60 have been performed to evaluate depletion of oxytetracycline residues in the eggs of treated hens. In Canada, oxytetracycline soluble powder is approved for use in the drinking water of laying hens at concentrations ranging from 50 to 112 mg/L (190 to 424 mg/gal) with 60-hour to 5-day egg withdrawal intervals, respectively.16

Those withdrawal intervals should be extended in the United States because oxytetracycline is not approved for use in laying hens; therefore, oxytetracycline must be undetectable in all eggs destined for human consumption. To our knowledge, doxycycline is not approved for use in laying hens in any country. Although multiple studies10,50,61–63 have been performed to evaluate the depletion of doxycycline in the eggs of treated hens, at this time, FARAD cannot provide a blanket withdrawal interval recommendation for eggs, and individuals are directed to submit a withdrawal interval request to FARAD

Thank you so very much for all this information. Are you saying that my hen will die no matter what? I read that if they do recover they will probably never lay, but I thought she still had a chance at living.

I'm not a vet or an authority, but salpingitis is a very common cause of death in hens. The articles say that if the disease is not advanced when antibiotics are used, there is a chance they may recover, but not lay the same. She may live awhile or she may live a few years. Each case is different. If you could see inside her abdomen magically, it might give you a better idea. She may continue to lay the occasional lash egg or egg material. It would be great if she starts eating better soon. I wish I had more answers, but I only know what I have read. You may want to read a few articles here on BYC on internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Those terms plus salpingitis are all 3 similar conditions, egg yolk peritonitis being the worst and the result of the other two. Have you decided whether or not to get the Baytril? It is about as strong an antibiotic as there is for salpingitis or EYP.

Okay that gives me hope. She has improved some today. She ate some wet layer feed and some macaroni and cheese. If I get the Baytril do I give it to her immediately after finishing the amoxicillin? Will it stay fresh if I buy it and she doesn't need it? I will read the articles you have suggested.

The Baytril will have an expiration date on the box or label that will tell you how long it can be used. I will even use medicines a year after an expiration date. I would use it if she has not gotten better, but if she is better, I would just give her the probiotics and food. Vitamins are fine to give too.

Back
Top Bottom