Egg bound hen

TheBlessedCoop

Chirping
Jan 26, 2016
Texas
Hi there. I have a two year old leghorn that I believe is egg bound. She started acting a little off day before yesterday and now today she isn't interested in any sort of food or water. Her comb is extremely droopy and she will not leave the nesting box. She has been egg bound before but has never felt this bad. I gave her some nutri drench and I am going to give her another warm soak today. It is about 60 degrees and rainy here so I will blow dry her and I think I will move her to our shed with a heat lamp. Is that a good idea? I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with those caltrate tablets for calcium? I want to give her something for calcium but I have no time to order from Amazon. I need something that I can get locally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/134/salpingitis/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html

image_Page_005_Image_0005.jpg

6. Salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct). Salpingites due to E. coli infections could be also observed in growing birds. The oviduct is dilated, with thinned wall and filled with caseous exudate all along its length.

lash egg from salpingitis

Saffron is a pretty name. What color leghorn is she? No, I'm not an employee of BYC. I think the moderators even work for free. I just have a big hobby of reading about chicken health. I have learned a ton here in 6 years of reading the threads. Just don't look at any of my early threads, LOL. I worked as a registered nurses for several decades. We live on a farm, and I was once tempted to go to vet school. I'm glad that I could help you. Many people like yourself who have experienced having a sick hen, will offer their experiences to others at some point. Any way, I hope Saffron keeps improving.

Yes, Caltrate calcium tabs would be good to use, and they also contain calcium. You could cut 1 into, and give half of it to her. If she will take it crushed in plain yogurt, that would also work. Some people use Tums as well.

Just went to check on her in the nesting box and found a white, tube-like deformed substance. It was rubbery and looked liked boiled chicken inside. I know that sounds very odd, but that is the best description I can give. Please help!

That is known as a lash egg which can be a symptom of salpingitis, an infection of the oviduct. I would try to get some antibiotics from your vet if possible. You can get Baytril online, but you could get it earlier froma vet, or something else that is good. Feed stores have very limited antibiotics now; most are injectable. Injectable procaine penicillin G could help, but Baytril is much better. If you Google or do a search here at the top of this page, there is a good thread called "Baytril and enrofloxacin sources" that gives info on where to buy it and dosage. A regular vet can be nice and help you out sometimes if there is a good relationship.

Yes, that is one of the ones in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

Here is a post by Casportpony from 2014:

Not an expert, but the information I have on Baytril says *not* to use it in water as it is not well tolerated and the sick birds won't drink it.

These are the amounts my vets have told me to inject or give orally:
  • 10mg/kg twice a day for 5 days (.1ml per 2.2 pounds)
  • 15mg/kg once a day for 5 days (.15ml per 2.2 pounds)
  • 20mg/kg once a day for 5 days (.2ml per 2.2 pounds)

Okay thank you I will call some vets tomorrow and see if I can get any from them for less. If not I will order that and hopefully it will be here in time. Thank you. I will keep you updated! Also I found some human penicillin capsules in my medicine cabinet. Can I use those or is that a bad idea? If so how do I give it to her?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom