Egg bound hen

Unless you get it from your regular vet, the others most likely will not give it to you. If you read the thread "baytril sources," you will see that it is banned for chickens in the US, but not in other countries or for other animals in the US. Some will order it if you promise not to use the chicken for eggs or meat. But it is one of the best drugs to use in EYP and other reproductive infections.

Penicillin or amoxicillin? What is the strength? It might help, but the Baytril is more effective on things like E.coli which is usually a cause of salpingitis. I would be tempted to order the Baytril online, but it's your call.

Amoxicillin 500mg. How do I dose her? I don't know if I have time to wait on Baytril. I don't want to overdose her on the amoxicillin though.

Oh, you are welcome. The dosage of amoxicillin for chickens is 250 to 300 mg per day in 3 divided doses. So I would open a capsule into 5 ml of yogurt and mix real well, then pull it up into a syringe. Each ml would then equal a 100 mg dose. Give that every 8 hours. If she doesn't like yogurt you can experiment. I have used liverwurst, peanut butter, and cheese sauce with my dogs-- whatever works.

Last edited:
Hi there. I gave her one 100mg dose this morning in yogurt and will give her another at 3:30. I was wondering if I should force feed her? She drank a little on her own but hasn't eaten at all. Is it fine for the amoxicillin to be on an empty stomach? Also should I give her 1 ml of nutri drench or is that unnecessary, and do I give her any probiotic and electrolyte water?

Back
Top Bottom