Egg bound? NEED HELP NOW!

Chicken Chiquita

Animal obsessed :)
Feb 11, 2020
Idaho
So today i went outside to let my chickens out and my White Plymouth Rock is acting strange; she is kinda waddling, does not have much of an appetite, moves slowly, seams oblivious to surroundings, is puffed up, wings are out, and vent is bleeding (see pics).
I'm thinking shes egg-bound.
She was fine yesterday, and all the others are fine.
NEED HELP.
IMG_0230[1].JPG
IMG_0219[1].JPG

Did she lay an egg on her own or did you have to intervene somehow? I have a hen that has spent half a day in the nesting box and whimpering. I am wondering if she is egg bound.
Try giving your hen a Tums. Break it up into about five or six pieces and feed them to her it will help with her contractions and hopefully she will be able to push the egg out.

Thank you. I will try that!
Thank you. I will try that!
Usually they will not be willing to eat it on their own, so you have to hold them and open the beak and put the pieces in one by one. Hopefully she will lay her egg within an hour or so, but if not try giving her another Tums. If that does not work by tomorrow, you may have to repeat the Tums and also give her a warm soak for 20 minutes or so and then make sure you dry her so she doesn’t get a chill.

Back
Top Bottom