CarleeG

Chirping
Jan 31, 2020
Need your help again friends. I took one of my quail out of the coop because she was acting egg bound; lethargic, straining to push something out, panting. But after some warm baths with Epsom salts she had some very large solid poops. Do you think she was just constipated or should I keep up with the baths until we get an egg?
I live in Arizona and it’s extremely dry here so I’m guessing constipation is very possible.

Is this a Coturnix quail or other? Is she in a cage or aviary? Egg bound is rare in quail but could possibly be a lashed egg. Can you get a pic of her droppings?
I'd add Calcium citrate to her water and keep her well hydrated. Another bath may help, too!
Keep us posted.

Is this a Coturnix quail or other? Is she in a cage or aviary? Egg bound is rare in quail but could possibly be a lashed egg. Can you get a pic of her droppings?
I'd add Calcium citrate to her water and keep her well hydrated. Another bath may help, too!
Keep us posted.
she is Coturnix yes. She is in a ground pen. Basically aviary I guess because it’s tall, but access to the dirt and plants. I didn’t get a pic of the droppings but they were like a large ball slightly smaller than the size of a quarter. I tried squishing it in paper towel to see consistency and was pretty solid. After she got out a couple of those the poops got smaller. She’s back outside and bouncing around and digging with the others. I put out ground oyster shells (something I haven’t done in the past) they all seem to love them. I’ve put out a couple extra water dishes in case she was finding it difficult to get to the other one. I will buy some calcium nitrate. I’m sure they could all benefit. Thank you!

she is Coturnix yes. She is in a ground pen. Basically aviary I guess because it’s tall, but access to the dirt and plants. I didn’t get a pic of the droppings but they were like a large ball slightly smaller than the size of a quarter. I tried squishing it in paper towel to see consistency and was pretty solid. After she got out a couple of those the poops got smaller. She’s back outside and bouncing around and digging with the others. I put out ground oyster shells (something I haven’t done in the past) they all seem to love them. I’ve put out a couple extra water dishes in case she was finding it difficult to get to the other one. I will buy some calcium nitrate. I’m sure they could all benefit. Thank you!
Not calcium nitrate!!! Calcium citrate!
Calcium nitrate will kill them.

Only one of my quail is laying HUGE eggs every 3 days and I have a feeling it’s the same one that seemed to be struggling. Any suggestions for helping her lay them more easily? The others are laying daily. They have lots of light, calcium etc. only thing I can think of is that she’s dehydrated? Or maybe since it was her first egg it was difficult being so big? The egg comes out with lots of calcium deposits on it and it’s the biggest egg I’ve ever seen. Is she eating too much calcium?

Back
Top Bottom