Egg bound or sick or something else?

celliott24

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Birmingham, AL
One of my buff orpingtons is acting weird today. Her tail is down and it seems like she’s shuffling around to walk, not going super far, and laying down every chance she can. When she is laying it seems like she’s trying to squeeze something out so I’m thinking she may be egg bound, however she is super alert and with-it. She is still eating and drinking, her vent looks fine, I haven’t been able to get a poop picture just yet and I’m not sure if she has layed today or not. I feed them half kalmbach organic layer crumbles and half scratch and peck organic layer feed - sometimes fermented. First experience with a “sick” chicken so any help is appreciated! If the consensus is that she’s egg-bound, any advice on how to help her would be great!
EE37FC9D-813A-462A-8F85-2843CF530795.jpeg
3C0B7D9D-1E73-45F4-A303-DC85ECA4F188.jpeg
C2F4C1A0-D6B4-4C8F-9403-2F2AFDFB30C0.jpeg
DBAE745C-11B9-48AC-89B5-0DBD02BE80A0.jpeg

Can you feel her belly to see if you feel anything hard? Does she limp?
She doesn’t limp, it’s more of a very slow waddle. She couldn’t jump up into the coop tonight - it seems like she is very weighed down…Nothing hard in the belly that feels abnormal, just feels like belly. But it’s also really my first time feeling this type of thing.

I gave her an epsom salt bath, some nutridench and separated her in the coop from the others for the night. I’ll be able to get a poop picture and see if she lays tomorrow.

Poop looks pretty normal this morning…?Should I keep her separated until she lays? Is she going to be stressed out in the coop by herself while everyone else is out and about?
7F3122CB-BEFC-4D79-BADA-9EC9F9721262.jpeg

How is she today?

If she were mine I’d give her a whole calcium citrate pill till she lays again. I wouldn’t separate her, personally, just yet (it just seems to stress everyone out more & I don’t separate unless one is really bad & I need to monitor intake or there is a chance others will pick on them). The calcium can help with contractions so if she is just having trouble pushing out an egg it may help. She sure has the look of one struggling to lay.

Hope she gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom