Egg bound or sick or something else???

celliott24

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Birmingham, AL
My hen has been waddling around, tail feathers down, and laying down every chance she can. She hasn’t laid in at least 26 hours. I thought she might be egg bound, but I just gloved up and felt around in her vent and can not feel an egg. There is a rather large round sack kind of between her legs, but I’m not sure if that’s just normal chicken butt. She looks uncomfortable walking around but is eating and drinking normally.

She’s a 10 month old Buff Orpington, I’ve had her since she was a baby chick, no new chickens have been added to the flock.

I have her separated from the rest of the flock, gave her an Epsom salt bath and gave her some calcium and some nutridench.

Photos of poop from this morning (although she stepped on it before I got in there), her vent, and how she’s standing/laying.

Is she egg bound or is this something else?

34D5A62A-8773-4C0F-9714-4645A03EE3AE.jpeg
5EA506D6-634D-4742-89ED-AA955FD12642.jpeg
2CA4DD6A-FFD1-42CF-89C7-22F7CC1E326D.jpeg

BC98C67E-8F20-4BA0-9C2C-DEF27C86667E.jpeg

How much calcium and what kind did you give? Does she full full between her legs, and is it spongy, firm, or tight like a drum?
I just went out and felt her and she’s super swollen and water ballon-ey between her legs. She’s laying down but eating and drinking, comb and wattles still red, seems in good spirits - not lethargic or anything. I gave her 400mg of calcium citrate + D3.

She might have ascites or water belly, which is fluid from a reproductive disorder, liver problems, or heart problems. Some people try to withdraw or drain fluid from ascites by inserting an 18 gauge needle with a large syringe inserted just under the skin into the abdominal wall. Let us know if the calcium helps. I am going to tag @azygous for any other suggestions.

Last edited:
She might have ascites or water belly, which is fluid from a reproductive disorder, liver problems, or heart problems. Some people try to withdraw or drain fluid from ascites by inserting an 18 gauge needle with a large syringe inserted just unepder the skin into the abdominal wall. Let us know if the calcium helps. I am going to tag @azygous for any other suggestions.
Thank you! I will post an update in the morning. Is ascites common in 11 month old hens and does it prevent them from laying? Does draining fix the problem or is it a continuous issue that needs constant care (is it best to cull?) - this is my first flock so I appreciate the help!

If a vet is available they could do X-rays of her abdomen? Draining her would give you some answers that might confirm ascites if you get any yellow to amber fluid back. If it is ascites, that would eventually kill her. That is why I would try to figure out if that is what she really has or not. It can happen to young layers for the reasons posted above, and also fatty liver disease may cause it. No ascites does not prevent them from laying, but the illnesses that can cause ascites might. Check her crop in early morning to see if it is emptying overnight.

From her photo, her stance does not appear to coincide with the legs wide apart stance of a chicken suffering from ascites. If the abdominal swelling is most predominant behind the legs and directly beneath the vent, then it may point to reproductive infection or simply overweight which is not healthy and can lead to fatty liver disease.

Giving a calcium supplement in case she's struggling with a stuck egg is the first thing I would do. It's simple, safe, and easy, and won't cause any harm if we're wrong, and it will do a whole mountain of good if this is egg binding.

Give at least 600mg of calcium and provide access to fresh plain water tonight. Be sure she's not in a cold or chilly spot, and it's quiet and stress-free. Then check on her in the morning and tell us what her poop looks like and if she's still lethargic.

We'll need to see how this unfolds before we can make any further guesses as to what might be going on. Yes, guesses...we aren't clairvoyant and we aren't even vets. But as things progress, our experience may recognize something and we'll likely have more suggestions.

From her photo, her stance does not appear to coincide with the legs wide apart stance of a chicken suffering from ascites. If the abdominal swelling is most predominant behind the legs and directly beneath the vent, then it may point to reproductive infection or simply overweight which is not healthy and can lead to fatty liver disease.

Giving a calcium supplement in case she's struggling with a stuck egg is the first thing I would do. It's simple, safe, and easy, and won't cause any harm if we're wrong, and it will do a whole mountain of good if this is egg binding.

Give at least 600mg of calcium and provide access to fresh plain water tonight. Be sure she's not in a cold or chilly spot, and it's quiet and stress-free. Then check on her in the morning and tell us what her poop looks like and if she's still lethargic.

We'll need to see how this unfolds before we can make any further guesses as to what might be going on. Yes, guesses...we aren't clairvoyant and we aren't even vets. But as things progress, our experience may recognize something and we'll likely have more suggestions.
She is not lethargic - just standing funny with her tail tucked and chest upright, slower to walk and waddling around. Seems very bottom heavy. She hasn’t laid an egg in probably 35hrs or so - could that be because I have her separated from the rest and she doesn’t have her usual nesting box? If she isn’t lethargic should I just let her go about with the other girls and see what happens? More calcium?

Just checked on her and this is what her poop looks like this morning.

If she is simply overweight how do you control that with 8 hens in a coop?

Thanks for all of your help!

6FF01F8A-2DBC-4099-9BFB-D57F993E37CC.jpeg

From your description of her stance, she's most likely egg bound. Give her at least 600mg of calcium again this morning. If you have a heating pad, put it on low setting and slip it under her.

By now she may be getting weak, put a teaspoon of sugar into her water and dip her beak so she'll know it's sweet. If she won't drink, you'll have to syringe it into her. Dehydration is a big risk with this condition as her bodily fluids are getting shunted out of the reproductive tract instead of being distributed to her tissues.

This is how your syringe fluids.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

From your description of her stance, she's most likely egg bound. Give her at least 600mg of calcium again this morning. If you have a heating pad, put it on low setting and slip it under her.

By now she may be getting weak, put a teaspoon of sugar into her water and dip her beak so she'll know it's sweet. If she won't drink, you'll have to syringe it into her. Dehydration is a big risk with this condition as her bodily fluids are getting shunted out of the reproductive tract instead of being distributed to her tissues.

This is how your syringe fluids. View attachment 3450018
Thank you! She seems in fine spirits besides the fact that she can’t move around a ton and seems uncomfortable - not weak yet - comb still red, still cooing and happy - but again hasn’t laid at all. 600-800mg of calcium is in her! I’ll make sure to get some water in her too and keep you posted today. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom