Egg bound or sick or something else???

After calcium she pooped and it looks like this:

A7E5B63D-1CF1-4865-ADA8-C733C4A9E407.jpeg

Forgot to mention that her crop is fine and drained after last night!

Sounds good I’ll give her some food. Link below is a video of her now - she really does seem like she’s trying to push an egg out but can’t.

I don’t have a heating pad - should I give her a warm bath, or would a heat lamp work? Any other heating pad hacks with household items?

Video

Heat an old bath towel in the microwave. Be sure it isn't hot enough to burn when you slip it under her. Re-heat every hour. Give her a second calcium around noon if she hasn't passed the obstruction. Also be aware that often two back to back eggs are involved. If one comes out, another may be an hour behind it.

Had a friend who brought over a heating pad so she’s on that now. Pooped again, picture attached. I got some water into her and will leave her be until noon. She was seeming a little more lethargic, squinting eyes, and panting a bit…

CDEF1445-3EB7-4FD4-9103-B37BE71379B5.jpeg

No egg as of yet - brought her inside for a calmer environment, put a blanket over the kennel, turned the heat pad down as she was panting a ton like she was hot as heck and put some classical music on as ridiculous as that is. I think she is starting to stress as you said. She’s just standing there panting, panting with the occasional whinney sounding trill. Got a little bit of calcium in her but she’s really not having it - I was able to sneak maybe 3 eyedroppers of water into her. Is there a good way to open their beaks solo - do you just have to be super aggressive and firm? It’s hard with only two hands. 🤦🏻‍♀️

AC9F76E9-EC08-4FA6-B346-EBC440402F37.jpeg

Her stance is definitely that of being egg bound. Our mission is now clear. Yes, it would benefit her greatly to get some sugar water into her.

I wrap the chicken in a towel to calm her. I have the water, warmed slightly, ready and an oral syringe. I reach around with my weak hand and pry open the beak by sticking a nail into the beak. I load the syringe and insert it on the chicken's right side of the beak. Then going slightly under the side of the tongue, insert it directly into the esophagus and push out the water.

When you feed the water directly into the crop via the esophagus, there isn't any need for her to swallow. So keep the beak open and continue to feed the water to her until you get at least a fourth of a cup into her. Do it again in about two hours.

Her stance is definitely that of being egg bound. Our mission is now clear. Yes, it would benefit her greatly to get some sugar water into her.

I wrap the chicken in a towel to calm her. I have the water, warmed slightly, ready and an oral syringe. I reach around with my weak hand and pry open the beak by sticking a nail into the beak. I load the syringe and insert it on the chicken's right side of the beak. Then going slightly under the side of the tongue, insert it directly into the esophagus and push out the water.

When you feed the water directly into the crop via the esophagus, there isn't any need for her to swallow. So keep the beak open and continue to feed the water to her until you get at least a fourth of a cup into her. Do it again in about two hours.
I crushed up the calcium pill and managed to syringe probably a quarter cup of water plus the calcium into her about 30 minutes ago. I’ll keep you posted. I also felt around her bottom again and it’s feeling less water balloon-ey and more firm. It’s about the size of an apple. Like an apple wrapped in jelly with a towel around it. And then chicken skin.

Back
Top Bottom