Egg bound or sick or something else???

Is her vent moist? If it seems dry, spray some warm water on it.

Do you have a vet? One you can work with? She could use an injection of oxytocin to push her into contractions that the calcium alone may not be accomplishing.

You do not need to crush the calcium tablet. She can swallow it whole without any problem. It's the only thing right now that's actively working to help her get this egg out.

Okay, husband got home from his work trip and we were able to get a bunch of calcium and water into her. Her vent looks moist but I gave it a spray anyways.

There is a vet in town who handles poultry but I have never been to them or worked with them. I called and they can see her tomorrow but it’s going to run upwards of $300 especially if they decide they need to take an x ray.

Trying to weigh if that’s worth it or if this is a condition that would continue with her and be a problem down the road?

Okay! Woke up this morning and we have an egg! Just one egg - it’s regular sized and shaped. A bit oblong so maybe it didn’t turn correctly on the way down? She is still kind of acting the same way, tail is still tucked when she stands, she’s pumping her tail a bit, and her abdomen is still a little swollen but not nearly where it was yesterday. Her comb and waddles are red and she seems a bit more chipper - definitely less lethargic.

What now?!

C4DE9B97-1C7B-4D5A-9F88-0A4E9B4AB913.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope this ended as a success story. I think one of my hens is egg bound so I appreciate the advice given to you and hope your hen survived.

I don’t have much to add here. You have some really great advice from other way more knowledgeable. Just wanted to say I hope she feels better soon. I love my Orpingtons so I hope she can kick whatever this might be!

I don’t have much to add here. You have some really great advice from other way more knowledgeable. Just wanted to say I hope she feels better soon. I love my Orpingtons so I hope she can kick whatever this might be!
Thank you! So bizarrely enough, I had her isolated for two three-day stints trying to fix her “egg bound” issue. She never declined, but is STILL in the backyard with tail tucked and laying down often. She IS laying though, all 8 chickens laid yesterday for Easter! So I have no idea what’s going on. She’s eating and drinking, just continuing with the odd behavior. I hope she isn’t in pain but we decided to just let nature heal her and we’ll see if she declines but she has stayed pretty consistent over the past two weeks.

Thank you! She seems in fine spirits besides the fact that she can’t move around a ton and seems uncomfortable - not weak yet - comb still red, still cooing and happy - but again hasn’t laid at all. 600-800mg of calcium is in her! I’ll make sure to get some water in her too and keep you posted today. Thanks again.
good luck !

Back
Top Bottom