Egg Bound or something else

Debramaz

Hatching
Nov 2, 2020
I have a chicken that is displaying all the signs of being egg bound, but I can't feel an egg. Could it be something else? Just to add, she is walking like a penguin, squatting, but can't seem to get comfortable and is not eating. She is pulsating her vent, and has a really stinky diarrhoea. I put my finger in her vent, but could not feel anything.

Last edited:
This will require more internal exploration - it's possible she had an egg break inside and the reminants of the shell and/or lining are still stuck - that can cause similiar symptoms to egg binding and it is just as serious. A deeper more invasive search (with lubrication) is needed. I'm sure there are great instructions on fishing out shell/lining -- my best advice is to feel around the vent- if you have poop on your finger - wrong area, wash up and re-lubricate your finger and find the other opening. (sorry) It's a very undigified process- assuming she's been laying regularly... just remember that an egg goes through there and your finger isn't nearly as big- and that getting all of the remaining material is very important.

Another possibility:

How does her abdomen feel at the lowest area? Compare her abdomen to others in the flock - is it larger, fluidy feeling, tight as a drum? Often times if there's not an egg stuck but you're seeing similar physical indications, it could be acities (aka waterbelly). Ascities can be drained to relieve the pressure. I use a 14 gauge 1" long needle - usually these or 16 gauge needles can be found at the farm supply store by the cattle vaccinations. Below is a video on how to drain ascities (if she has it). Either way it's a good skill to know and be prepared for (needles are inexpensive and belong in your first aid kit) as it can alleviate much discomfort for the hen. Anything causing ascities is not good news- organ failure or some stage of egg yolk peritionitis - and draining is a treatment, not a cure. I don't use a syringe any more - just the needle over a bin of some kind to catch the fluid- it will come out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom