Egg bound? Or something else?

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, and I'm so grateful for this group. She did pretty well for about two months. Her appetite perked up, and most days she was with the flock for at least part of the day. She ate a lot of tasty treats, and enjoyed foraging in the garden. I set worm traps for her, and give her a hand hunting. She went through a molt, so we kept her as a house chicken at night so she wouldn't be cold (or picked on). She actually got pretty used to it and anytime it would start to rain, I would hear her soft knock at the door to come inside. On nice days, sometimes I'd work outside, and she'd hang out with me while I worked at the laptop.

She then went downhill quickly, and passed over the rainbow bridge yesterday. I am unsure what the mass was in her abdomen(suspect internal laying as she had spent time trying to lay in the summer with no egg.) but it got bigger over time and think this was the issue. I'm a little heartbroken, but glad for the time we had an that she was able to have a pretty good chicken life.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, and I'm so grateful for this group. She did pretty well for about two months. Her appetite perked up, and most days she was with the flock for at least part of the day. She ate a lot of tasty treats, and enjoyed foraging in the garden. I set worm traps for her, and give her a hand hunting. She went through a molt, so we kept her as a house chicken at night so she wouldn't be cold (or picked on). She actually got pretty used to it and anytime it would start to rain, I would hear her soft knock at the door to come inside. On nice days, sometimes I'd work outside, and she'd hang out with me while I worked at the laptop.

She then went downhill quickly, and passed over the rainbow bridge yesterday. I am unsure what the mass was in her abdomen(suspect internal laying as she had spent time trying to lay in the summer with no egg.) but it got bigger over time and think this was the issue. I'm a little heartbroken, but glad for the time we had an that she was able to have a pretty good chicken life.
:hugsI'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm glad that she did improve for a while and was able to forage and be outside with her flock most days. Sounds like she had some nice days.
I agree with you since her abdomen was getting bigger this was the cause of decline. Internal Laying or Peritonitis, could have been cancer which I've seen in some of mine. It's sad to see them go regardless.
You did a nice job pulling her through and I think she has a good chicken life too...love that she knew to knock on the door when it rained so she could come inside:)

Back
Top Bottom