Egg bound+prolapse=I'm not sure what to do?

I'm not sure, but I would guess that a deeper portion of the uterus has prolapsed, thus preventing you from seeing a definitive opening as in that video in comment #2. If that is the case, it seems the egg would certainly have to be repositioned back into her to then allow it to come-out (after massaging and lubrication). In other words, the tube that makes-up the uterus and vagina would need to be 'unfolded'/'unbent'.

But don't listen to me if none of this seems to make sense... After all, I'm not there to investigate it myself.

I suggest studying this image for a few minutes, and then taking that knowledge with you when you examine her again:
aaa-egg-bound_orig.jpeg

http://www.ask-noodles.com/uploads/1/2/5/2/12524455/aaa-egg-bound_orig.jpg

Ok thank you all. I've just gotten home from basketball tournaments today with my daughter. Before i left tho i did give her a nice long soak and some antiseptic rinse. She's drinking and eating fine. She's not too lethargic. She was kind of last night when I originally posted but has been clucking and chatting here and there today. I've limited food bc i don't want her to lay anymore. As well as darkness with a heating pad. I feel like she's only laid 3 eggs before this one bc i had gotten 3 double yolks a few weeks apart from one another but havnt for a while. So possibly? But it's possible this would have been her first egg too. Idk for sure. However, my mom and i are going to maybe try to remove the egg. She's a doctor, I've been in healthcare for 4 years, all be it a good 9 years ago, but we're gonna give it a go. Literally only 2 very different but similar videos exist on this issue. I am trying to talk my daughter into filming for me in hopes it works and we can help someone else. Ugh. Here goes nothing. I'll update soon. Any last minute tips/suggestions/precautions are welcomed.

Update on my girl. So we soaked and soaked in the sink until the water went cool on her. She just didn't want to get out. Lol but when she did, i wrapped her up in a towel and sat her in my lap so she could have some water and some bread. She drank and drank and nibbled a bit of bread. Then i sat her down under the heat lamp and put of her cage so I could go gather my supplies and my mother for the procedure. I was getting towels from the other side of the house when I heard a commotion in the back bathroom. Thinking one of the curious kitties somehow for in to check out the patient, i hurried over to find the door closed. I went back to finish what I'd been doing before actually entering the bathroom. When I did, i found her behind the door with the membrane(non yolk part) of the egg just dripping from her prolapse. I was so happy to see that, i yelled for my mom and picked her up to inspect her rear. To my surprise, i saw the, what i now know was probably her ovarian tissue or whatever tissue her egg was stuck in had ripped open. The wax paper textured she'll had also been split open to allow the egg to start to vacate, yolk and all. My mom held the poor girl down with a towel over her face while I began to extract the shell, which was nearly completely in tact. After that was removed we were left with, I'm assuming, the deadened tissue that once was inside her vent. My mother and i decided to cut this deadened tissue off as best we could without cutting her live and healthy tissue that was still prolapsed. I did not attempt to reinsert the cloaca since it did have the deadened portion attached. I didn't think that was a good idea to have that inside her body. I'm going to attempt to attach video and a couple pictures. Unfortunately, my daughter was not so included to film for me. The gal seems to be feeling better, still drinking water and chowing down a slice of bread. I have turned the light out again and put her in the cage with a heating pad underneath a couch pillow cushion and a disposable bed Bad. Her comb did sort of fall a bit to the side but has, in my opinion, straightened up to normal. She's still not lethargic and is chatting up a Storm.
I'm calling the vet in the morning to see my next course of action.
Link to Video. I just cannot figure that out. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 20211205_211247~2.jpg
    20211205_211247~2.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211205_211250~2.jpg
    20211205_211250~2.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211205_211253~2.jpg
    20211205_211253~2.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211205_213352~2.jpg
    20211205_213352~2.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211205_213334~2.jpg
    20211205_213334~2.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 7
Update #2 we just left the vet and she is good to go. A loose stitch to cut out in a couple days should keep her insides inside then cut it after a couple days to ensure her next egg that's in there doesn't get stuck again. He said she isn't necessarily going to only have eggs that get bound or prolapsed forever. She might but she could also just have normal eggs for the rest of her life. So hopefully this can help those who run into this issue in the future bc there sure isn't much info on this specific problem. It doesn't have to be a death sentence. But I'm sure she had a bit of luck on her side since her intestine didn't get twisted up in the prolapse. Thanks everyone for your knowledge, insight and suggestions. They were helpful and appreciated.
Flock on! 🤘✌️

Update #2 we just left the vet and she is good to go. A loose stitch to cut out in a couple days should keep her insides inside then cut it after a couple days to ensure her next egg that's in there doesn't get stuck again. He said she isn't necessarily going to only have eggs that get bound or prolapsed forever. She might but she could also just have normal eggs for the rest of her life. So hopefully this can help those who run into this issue in the future bc there sure isn't much info on this specific problem. It doesn't have to be a death sentence. But I'm sure she had a bit of luck on her side since her intestine didn't get twisted up in the prolapse. Thanks everyone for your knowledge, insight and suggestions. They were helpful and appreciated.
Flock on! 🤘✌️
I am really happy to hear/read! This was certainly a stranger case of egg-binding that I've seen.....

Did the vet clearly state to you what he/she was looking at? The uterus didn't rupture?.... Apparently it's all good, so that is great.(!)

I will just note that my Australorp, Charlize, had a prolapse ~summer of 2020, and after fixing it over a week or so by continually re-inserting it into her body with antibiotic cream, it so far hasn't returned, thankfully! I hope you have the same luck with your hen friend!

-Cheers!

I am really happy to hear/read! This was certainly a stranger case of egg-binding that I've seen.....

Did the vet clearly state to you what he/she was looking at? The uterus didn't rupture?.... Apparently it's all good, so that is great.(!)

I will just note that my Australorp, Charlize, had a prolapse ~summer of 2020, and after fixing it over a week or so by continually re-inserting it into her body with antibiotic cream, it so far hasn't returned, thankfully! I hope you have the same luck with your hen friend!

-Cheers!
Just that she seemed to have pushed a bit too hard for whatever reason and it got pushed into a fold on the way out. I'm assuming the ovarian duct. Her intestine was unobstructed on the side so she was able to poop fine and she was peeing too. She never lost appetite, kept drinking and talking the whole time. She's let out a little almost "oof" when she'd try to push the egg out after her bath each time but was literally fine besides the egg hanging out of her tissue that was not supposed to be outside her body. It was weird. But once he was able to debrid it a little more he thought it was fine to go back inside her, and it'd fall off like an umbilical cord. He said i didn't even technically have to cut the dead tissue off myself it would have fallen off eventually itself but I was right to not want to shove it back up in there. So he did, which is when he felt her next egg, and placed 2 loose stitches just to help the sphincter to gain it's strength back and tighten back up. He said I'd have to cut and pull it out on Wednesday. Gave him $50 and went on our way. He said to not soak her anymore, just wipe her off if needed and she can rejoin the flock after she passes the next egg as long as nothing's hanging out back there. She'd maybe be picked on a bit but would quickly regain her place in the pecking order of the flock(which i think was within the top 3 under the roo). And she should probably not have issues again that it was most likely a fluke. 🤷🏼‍♀️ But I can keep my eye on her if it makes me feel better. Lol he knows how i am with my livestock and birds, so i had to laugh when he said he knew I'd be helicoptering for a while but I didn't have to. Haha. She's gonna have that mucousy discharge for a bit but that would clear up too.

Please let us know how she gets along, and glad that you were able to get help from the vet.
She was reintroduced, but in a next door pen to the flock yesterday. She seemed to be doing well and wanted to go outside, so i let her out once everyone else was off doing their own things this morning (we free range) and she met up with her chick mates and didn't have any issues all day.
IMG_20211213_202859_01.jpg
this was her yesterday before I brought her out to the barn. Still no egg, but her vent is back to normal size and she hadn't been showing any signs of distress or discomfort. She was eating, drinking and getting along normally.
When I came to shut the door on the barn, they were all inside getting ready to roost. I let her stay with the flock, but separated my 8 month old rooster into the neighboring pen since he had plucked a different hen bald from the shoulders to her comb and I'm pretty sure her eyes over the weekend and didn't want to have any surprises tomorrow morning.

She was reintroduced, but in a next door pen to the flock yesterday. She seemed to be doing well and wanted to go outside, so i let her out once everyone else was off doing their own things this morning (we free range) and she met up with her chick mates and didn't have any issues all day. View attachment 2929829 this was her yesterday before I brought her out to the barn. Still no egg, but her vent is back to normal size and she hadn't been showing any signs of distress or discomfort. She was eating, drinking and getting along normally.
When I came to shut the door on the barn, they were all inside getting ready to roost. I let her stay with the flock, but separated my 8 month old rooster into the neighboring pen since he had plucked a different hen bald from the shoulders to her comb and I'm pretty sure her eyes over the weekend and didn't want to have any surprises tomorrow morning.
Hi,

So glad you were able to help your young hen. How is she doing now? Has she had any issues?

Back
Top Bottom