Egg Bread

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
As a teenager my oldest daughter wanted to be a chef. She has turned out to be a very good baker of which area I have not one ounce of talent.

This is her recipe for egg bread. It is really good bread. She makes it twice a year - once at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas. It is now our own tradition. She braids it and it bakes up so wonderfully golden and shiney with the egg wash. It is so lovely to place the entire loaf on the table while it is warm and tear off a serving from it while the steam rises.

Baking takes some practice. If you fail don't give up. Try again. Even I can make a fairly descent offering from the recipe but it is nothing like hers. She really has a hand for it. The title is linked to the recipe on my recipe journal.

Colby's Egg Bread

2 pkg active dry yeast
2/3 c warm water (110 degrees)
6 egg yolks
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour (King Arthur)
1 egg
1 pinch salt

In a large bowl dissolve yeast in water. Stir in the yolks, 3 whole eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Add about 3 half cups of flour to make a stick dough.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead with remaining flour until smooth and elastic, about 7 min. You want to work in the flour about 1/2 cup at a time until incorporated. Do not dump all the flour in at once.

Place in a well oiled bowl turning to oil the entire surface of the dough. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth. Place in a warm place until double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough and divide into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 12 inches long. Braid the three strands together and seal at the ends.

Place the bread on a greased baking sheet. Beat the remaining 1 egg with a pinch of salt and brush over the bread.

Let the bread sit and rise until double, about 45 mins.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush bread with egg wash again.

Bake for 40 mins or until golden.

Cool on a wire rack.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I am itching to make some bread now that it's actually cold out. We will have to give this one a try.
smile.png

Thanks for the recipe Prissy!! This looks alot like the recipe I lost years ago for egg bread, it used 6 eggs too. I can imagine it will be well worth the effort to make!! Looks great, thanks so much --egg bread is on my to do list this weekend! Can't believe we are to have a low in the 40's at night this weekend!!
smile.png

I just made this bread this afternoon - thank you MissPrissy. It looks delicious. I used up a bunch of the egg yolks that I froze last month while my DH was undergoing his doctor ordered restrictive diet (among other things - egg whites OK, egg yolks no-no). I'm thinking to have it on hand, in the freezer, for Christmas morning French toast - just what it needs, MORE eggs! I think next time I will make 2 loaves - this one loaf is pretty, but huge! - and I added some sesame seed on top, for looks and crunch. Poppy seed would also be nice, I think. I don't think I will tell any of my Christmas guests just exactly how many eggs are in this bread, they'll be happier that way LOL.

I sliced the egg bread in preperation for the freezer, and, of course, we had to taste - quality control is important! It is as delicious as it looks, and as rich. DH, he with the sweet tooth, thought it might be even better with the addition of some raisins. I wouldn't want to say "better", but they certainly wouldn't make it worse. I think dried cranberries or cherries would also work nicely. Thanks again, MissPrissy, for posting the recipe.

Thank you for sharing as I have wanted to make a large braided bread for Christmas. Yum, this will be great plain or adding your favorites like raisins, nuts, whatever. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom