Egg candling confusion

Is the NR360 only for chicken eggs or do you think reptile eggs would work, too? Lol
I'm not sure. What do reptile eggs require? If they just need a different temperature then I'm sure you could program the NR360 to incubate at that temp, and then my only question would be turning. Do you need to be turned like chicken eggs??? You can always take the turner out if they don't or something, but I have 0 experience with any kind of reptiles, so wouldn't be the right person to ask.😅
I've considered getting rid of them but I probably wont. My bonus son named them and every chick he named last year ended up dying. These are still alive! But now, I'm highly thinking about getting another one.... just don't want to raise chicks right now.
You should, they're such funny looking chickens, and if you get a pare you could breed them and do a flock business. Might be a fun project. Plus the chance of a likely broody is helpful.
I get that. Raising chicks can be stressful and heartbreaking. I've had heaters fail, and dog attacks, they're just so fragile and sometimes it seems impossible to keep them safe. It's a tough task.
Treating 2 coops for roost mites has been a royal pain 😩 so time consuming and costly. I wasn't doing any preventative so, when we got them...they infested. I hope I'm winning because they dont seem as much as it was a few weeks ago but I've been doing this since May. I just put a sand in the coops, hoping those mites won't like it.
Ugh! Mites are the worst! So hard to get rid of, and definitely time consuming. Probably the worst part about raising chickens. I'm sorry your having to deal with this.
I bought a bunch of fake eggs so I might try again with my hens.
I'm just afraid of being overwhelmed with chicks at the moment. I think if I had a broody, I would have to stress about the temperature or the smell in the garage. Definitely waiting until DH is closer to mating his snakes.
The temperature in your area? Probably a good idea to wait until you're comfortable. Hopefully you get a broody eventually, that would make it very easy on you.
Ps. Congrats again on your hatching! I'm so happy that he made it and everything worked out! :ya

I'm not sure. What do reptile eggs require? If they just need a different temperature then I'm sure you could program the NR360 to incubate at that temp, and then my only question would be turning. Do you need to be turned like chicken eggs??? You can always take the turner out if they don't or something, but I have 0 experience with any kind of reptiles, so wouldn't be the right person to ask.😅

You should, they're such funny looking chickens, and if you get a pare you could breed them and do a flock business. Might be a fun project. Plus the chance of a likely broody is helpful.
I get that. Raising chicks can be stressful and heartbreaking. I've had heaters fail, and dog attacks, they're just so fragile and sometimes it seems impossible to keep them safe. It's a tough task.

Ugh! Mites are the worst! So hard to get rid of, and definitely time consuming. Probably the worst part about raising chickens. I'm sorry your having to deal with this.

The temperature in your area? Probably a good idea to wait until you're comfortable. Hopefully you get a broody eventually, that would make it very easy on you.
Ps. Congrats again on your hatching! I'm so happy that he made it and everything worked out! :ya
Thank you! It's so exciting to get a successful hatch :D the temps can range these days. Summers can easily be in the 100s, winter is 50-60's and spring/fall can be anything in between.

I use to think silkies were so ugly, a fuzzy duster with legs and a beak :lau but after being on BYC, I've grown to love their funky looks.
I'm definitely going to sit on that idea! I could probably get away with raising 2 more chicks.

I'm not sure about the reptile eggs. I never thought about whether they need turning, I'll have to look into that. It's all a learning experience 😅

I'm not sure about the reptile eggs. I never thought about whether they need turning, I'll have to look into that. It's all a learning experience 😅
Totally. I would be interested to follow a hatch-A-long or post about your learning curb. I'll never incubate reptiles, but it would be very interesting to see canceling photos, and lastly hatched eggs.

Last edited:
Totally. I would be interested to follow a hatch-A-long or post about your learning curb. I'll never incubate reptiles, but it would be very interesting to see cradling photos, and lastly hatched eggs.
Awe! That sounds like a fun idea. Never done a hatch-a-long before. What do you do?

Awe! That sounds like a fun idea. Never done a hatch-a-long before. What do you do?
When I did my, "First time hatchers hatch-A-long," I posted the thread, told what I was incubating, what bator I was using, how many eggs etc. All the details about my hatch, then asked others to share their hatches and post photo's. Fairly easy, I don't think theres a lot of rules. 😂

When I did my, "First time hatchers hatch-A-long," I posted the thread, told what I was incubating, what bator I was using, how many eggs etc. All the details about my hatch, then asked others to share their hatches and post photo's. Fairly easy, I don't think theres a lot of rules. 😂
Lol sounds easy enough! Ugh, I need to go to the feed store but I'm afraid I'll be tempted to buy more silkie chicks 🤦‍♀️

I should probably look into what colors are unique or what I can cross with my blue silkie cockerel, "Sisu". People are selling on craigslist for $15-25 not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom