egg carton method

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gail2, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Gail2

Gail2 New Egg

Sep 17, 2010
    Hello, This is my first time incubating. My chicks are chirping, this is day 21. I heard the egg carton method was very successful. I got a Styrofoam egg carton and put my eggs in it that had been laying on their side in my Hova Bator Genesis 1588. I hand turned them because I didn't trust the egg turner that came with it. I bought it used on craigslist. I cut off the top of the carton but I didn't know I should trim the bottom. Should I transfer the eggs to another carton with a hold in the bottom or just put them on their sides again? I don't want to open the incubator however and ruin everything. I could heat the room and do it quick. I have since found out more about the egg carton method on previous threads. I am now not so sure about it and wish I had left the eggs on their side to hatch. What should I do?

2. NightCode

NightCode Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    wish i could help with this. i have the same question. it seems to be the induviduls choise on this. after searching and searching and only getting mixed reviews its hard to tell which methode is best. i have my first batch laying on the sides and im going to try the second batch in the carton. well see how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by