Egg cleaning and storing

sahmom4cj

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
I apologize as I know this has probably been asked a ton of times and I have searched but my exact question isn't resulting a response.

I have always washed my eggs and put them in the fridge. I'm trying what some of you do and not washing them. MY QUESTION IS......if I leave my eggs unwashed can I still put them in the refrigerator? Do I wash them right before using them? I see where many keep the unwashed eggs on the counter but I'd prefer them in the fridge. I'd appreciate any advice as I have just started with the thought of not washing them.

Last edited:
Sure you can keep unwashed eggs in the fridge......
......unless they have poop on them, then I would not put them in the fridge.

Whether to wash them before using is your preference.

OK great. Thank you. I know you can't use cold water due to pulling in bacteria so I was worried about the cold air from fridge pulling in something on the unwashed shell.

I try to wipe any poop off (usually in the grass) when I collect the eggs. Then we bring them inside and put them in an egg carton, which goes in the fridge. When it's time, we wash the egg(s) we're going to use, right before we use it.

I keep my eggs in a basket on the kitchen counter. They'll easily keep for months without refridgeration though I make egg salad or other egg meal to clean them out every two weeks if overabundance piling up. I don't wash my eggs.

All our clean eggs (no poop) stays in a baskets on the counter for 2 weeks max, all dirty ones get washed with warm water and get refrigerated and get used first.

Back
Top Bottom