Egg color of Americauna has changed? Anyone ever had this happen?

Turkenlover

Songster
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Colorado
So I have an Americauna hen who is just over a year old that has been reliably laying light green eggs for as long as she has been laying. Then out of the blue (no pun intended) this week, she laid a light blue egg. It's REALLY blue. She has not laid today, but she is only in with Turkens, so I can't imagine that anyone else but her laid the blue egg. Anyone else ever had their Americauna egg color change?

I'll try to post a picture later.

Yes, my Easter Egger (EE) eggshells change from med-light sage green to more light blue, and back.

If yours lays green eggs, she's an EE, not Ameraucana. Ameraucanas lay a blue shell, without the brown pigment overlay that turns the shell color green. It's a genetic thing. EE are a cross between Ameraucana and another breed that lays brown eggs or sometimes white eggs.

Here is a picture of "Nell," my little angel. I bought her from a private individual who sold her to me as an Americauna. I would not be surprised if she was actually an EE.

47099_cimg1718.jpg

I am not familiar with what a true Americuna looks like. She sure looks like an EE to me. And it sounds like it with green eggs and egg color changing. My three EE's egg color varies from day to day. I have one that is sometimes a nice blue and sometimes is green. And I do know for sure that it is her eggs that vary in color. All three eggs that are distinctly different.

Awesome, thanks everyone! My customer who loves the "Green Eggs with Ham" may be bummed, but I think it's hysterical!
lol.png

Speaking of different colors, my EE laid this aqua-color egg today! It's a strange and beautiful color. She's never laid one this deep blue before. Here are pictures, next to her usual sage-green color egg:

129-2955_IMG.JPG

129-2960_IMG.JPG

Back
Top Bottom