Egg Confusion

Tholley93

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2018
Can standard size chickens lay bantam silkie size eggs if theyve mated with a bantam silkie roo?
We have some chicks that hatched from silkie size and color eggs but they seem to be standard chickens.
One turned out to be a frizzle something, one an americana silkie mix, and a RIR silkie mix. We have no explanation how this happened. Especially since we do not have an americana roo.

I have a blue Ameraucana hen that was mated by a bantam silkie frizzle as she was ending her first molt. She laid a extra large egg as her first egg as a hen. I sat this egg and it hatched, this is what I have today,,,
Phatass.jpg

So it will not affect the egg size,

Mating with a rooster of any size will not affect the size of the eggs that are laid.

If they were pure silkie eggs that you set and the chicks are not pure silkies, then either your rooster is not a pure silkie or you have another rooster or the hens were exposed to another rooster a couple of weeks before the hatching eggs were laid. The hen stores the sperm from the rooster inside her and uses it to fertilize each egg as it is being produced in the oviduct.
Perhaps a photo of your flock might shed some light on what is going on.

I suppose that could be it. We lost an americauna a few months ago and we thought it was a hen but I suppose it could have been a rooster afterall.

Back
Top Bottom