egg crate hatch in LG....please advise

roxie03

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
I would like to try hatching in an egg carton this time. I have a LG still air bator. With the eggs in the carton to hatch, does that put the top of the egg too close to the heating element? I know the LG doesn't have as much 'head' room as other models.

You wont have a problem with the larger eggs in the cartons and LG..About 3 weeks ago I did my first hatch with cartons in the LG, and they did just fine.

As for turning, many other people have recomended putting a wedge under a side of the carton every time you need to turn them. Or put a wedge under the whole bator if you use sponges instead of the water wells...

Hope that helps
smile.png

I didn't use an egg carton in our LG but I do have an egg turner in there. The eggs do seem a bit close to the heating element but I am on day 15 and so far all but 5 are viable. I don't think its hurting the eggs.I started with 41. two were clear and three cracked.When you use an egg carton I think the easiest way to turn them is to place something under one side so the carton is slightly tilted then do the same for the other side. Of course this is my first time and I am just repeating what I heard.

I tilted the side not the end but I think the OP is talking about hatching in there, so there would be no need to turn.

I also wondered about the eggs being to high in cartons, but I mine has a fan. I would think that would keep the temps steady, but without one I dont know.

Back
Top Bottom