Egg Development (not a question)

Do you like it?!

• Total voters
Just want to add that when I incubate, I don't toss eggs until at least day 12-13. "Experts" often suggest not tossing any at all unless they leak, or smell. Its very possible to have supposed infertile eggs hatch. Sometimes its just hard to tell. ;)
Cool thread! Congrats on making the front page, very neat!
Thank you! 🥰

I read somewhere that it was suggested to candle eggs under a broody hen at Day 10 because it was the half way mark of the whole process. If there are any unviable eggs at that time, they can be tossed. Then, if after 21 days there are eggs that have not yet hatched, you should candle those eggs after the broody mama leaves the nest to see if the unhatched eggs are still viable. I like that it would be the least invasive to the broody hen, yet it would give you the information that you need. Would you agree?

I read somewhere that it was suggested to candle eggs under a broody hen at Day 10 because it was the half way mark of the whole process. If there are any unviable eggs at that time, they can be tossed. Then, if after 21 days there are eggs that have not yet hatched, you should candle those eggs after the broody mama leaves the nest to see if the unhatched eggs are still viable. I like that it would be the least invasive to the broody hen, yet it would give you the information that you need. Would you agree?
Yes, I do. That is what I do with broody hens. I also candle a few days before hatch, and it has never harmed them.

When incubating I normally candle at day 10 and remove any eggs that have clearly not made progress the ones I’m unsure of stay in the incubator… I then candle again at day 19 when i set my bator to stop turning any eggs that appear to not have developed or quit get tossed and “not sures” get kept … recently my poor daughter had a “tossed” egg explode all over her as it was left in the bator as an “unsure” for just a little bit too long….
she’s also had an egg “fall apart” on her with a poor fully developed baby inside who just didnt have the strength to make it out of the egg….

The candler that was used is a Magicfly Egg Candler.

Why Candle?
Candling allows you see the development of eggs from day one to before hatch, remove possible exploders, rottens, and eggs that stopped development. It also allows you to see cracks in eggs before incubating, (which should be tosses or kept to eat instead) and if the egg is a double yolker.

I have posted eggs on different days of development to show they're progress. Please tell me if there's anything you think I should add, and feel free to ask any questions about incubating, whether it be with a broody or a 'bator.

Egg that stopped developing on day 3 or 4
View attachment 2831256

Un-incubated egg
View attachment 2831253

Eggs incubated for 9 hours
View attachment 2831254View attachment 2831255

Egg on day 2 (do you see the Embryo?)
View attachment 2831257
View attachment 2831258

Egg on day 4
View attachment 2831259

Egg on day 17
View attachment 2831260

Egg on day 18
View attachment 2831261

Eggs in a 10+ year old (I think, it was given to me by a friend) incubator (Farm Innovators model 4200)
View attachment 2831262

Eggs that have been moved to a "Hatching" incubator (VIVIOHOME/JANOEL12) without a turner and increased humidity
View attachment 2831263

This probably should have been a article, but...........:lol::cool:

Seriously though, let me know what you think!
Thanks a heap!

The candler that was used is a Magicfly Egg Candler.

Why Candle?
Candling allows you see the development of eggs from day one to before hatch, remove possible exploders, rottens, and eggs that stopped development. It also allows you to see cracks in eggs before incubating, (which should be tosses or kept to eat instead) and if the egg is a double yolker.

I have posted eggs on different days of development to show they're progress. Please tell me if there's anything you think I should add, and feel free to ask any questions about incubating, whether it be with a broody or a 'bator.

Egg that stopped developing on day 3 or 4
View attachment 2831256

Un-incubated egg
View attachment 2831253

Eggs incubated for 9 hours
View attachment 2831254View attachment 2831255

Egg on day 2 (do you see the Embryo?)
View attachment 2831257
View attachment 2831258

Egg on day 4
View attachment 2831259

Egg on day 17
View attachment 2831260

Egg on day 18
View attachment 2831261

Eggs in a 10+ year old (I think, it was given to me by a friend) incubator (Farm Innovators model 4200)
View attachment 2831262

Eggs that have been moved to a "Hatching" incubator (VIVIOHOME/JANOEL12) without a turner and increased humidity
View attachment 2831263

This probably should have been a article, but...........:lol::cool:

Seriously though, let me know what you think!
Hello!
You probably could have made it an article 😁 great info!
..Just wondering if an egg is under a broody overnight will the process start of chick development? Or is it fine to remove the egg and eat it? When does development actually start?
Thanks!

Hello!
..Just wondering if an egg is under a broody overnight will the process start of chick development? Or is it fine to remove the egg and eat it? When does development actually start?
Thanks!
You should start to be able to see development after 2-3 days. I usually remove eggs and eat them if they've only been under her for the night. If its less than 24 hours I doubt you have to worry.

Hello!
Thanks!
You should start to be able to see development after 2-3 days. I usually remove eggs and eat them if they've only been under her for the night. If its less than 24 hours I doubt you have to worry.
I agree with Weeg! 😁😊

Back
Top Bottom