Egg Eating Or am I NUTS!!

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
Sorry there has been so much egg eating talk on here I swear I am freaking for nothing. I was just out cleaning my nesting boxes (just got my first DE) and when I was sweeping out on box there was some really yellow shavings that looked like yolk! I get anywhere from 16-20 eggs a day, but yesterday I got 1 egg that looked like it had one peck in it. But I already got 16 eggs today and will probley get 3 or 4 more today yet. If one egg got broke would they eat everybit of it? shell and all ?? Also would they stop at 1 egg or go nuts and eat them all. I got 4 eggs at noon and 12 more at 3pm. So if I had an egg eater would she just let 12 eggs lay in the boxes?? They eat 20% crumbles, I have grit and oyster shell clean water and they get about a cup 1/2 of boss each day, and If it is going below freezing I will give them some corn at night. They also have an acre to roam in? So do I have one just starting or am I just nuts???
he.gif
I have 25 ladies but I am not sure if they are all laying yet.

Yes they could eat it all including the shell.

My girls will eat any egg that has been cracked but don't bother the other eggs. I think it's a mechanism to keep the nest clean. Or maybe they're just recycling.
tongue.png

My girls will be five years old at the end of the month and I still don't have any that deliberately break eggs. So I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom